• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Super cheap GS6000 - are they good for a newer user?

Fake

Hi All,

I've stumbled across an Epson GS6000 low hours full Epson service history for an insane price, around $2,400 USD. Thing that has me interested is the machine comes with 12 months service and warranty from Epson - heads and all.

I've just moved into a small factory, moving from my dusty dirty garage with my tried and trusted Roland Soljet SC500.

I would love to add a 64" printer and my current limitation is funding anew machine.

I bought my SC500 well abused massive print hours and am ato east the 6th owner of it, it was a similar price and my reasoning was the risk was minimal, now with rent to pay before I jump in (I prefer not buying boat anchors, even though Roland tell me my SC500 is one) and throw away money.

Is 12 months heads and all a worthy risk based on cost?

I have noticed the use of these machines is common in the US for shops doing car wraps etc this would be my quality machine, SC500 is my churn n burn printer.

Any general advice or tips would be appreciated. Average print yield on a full set of inks on gloss vinyl (approx idea would suffice - and I'm aware this is dependant on what the content of the design is)

Thanks

Damien

FatCat

Certainly sounds like a fair deal, the warranty alone seems worth that. Never had a GS 6000 myself, but a good friend did, and had some troubles initially with it - finally Epson got it straightened out and worked fine afterwards. They are decent machines, basically built around a Mutoh chassis, but you will pay a slight premium for the inks.

twmiller24

We have two GS 6000s, and they're our workhorse machines, despite having an Epson SC 70670 and HP Latex 360 (both of which we use). They are our most reliable machines by far, and they're several years old.

mpn

We have two GS 6000s, and they're our workhorse machines, despite having an Epson SC 70670 and HP Latex 360 (both of which we use). They are our most reliable machines by far, and they're several years old.

This is how we feel about ours. Ours was the workhorse until we picked up the 50670, but the 6000 keeps running with no issues compared to the sure color.

Fake

Sounds good, I know the speed and quality will be a major step up from my old old Roland. Thanks for the feedback.

Fake

Ink costs

Certainly sounds like a fair deal, the warranty alone seems worth that. Never had a GS 6000 myself, but a good friend did, and had some troubles initially with it - finally Epson got it straightened out and worked fine afterwards. They are decent machines, basically built around a Mutoh chassis, but you will pay a slight premium for the inks.

with higher ink cost are you talking about that a 990ml Epson cart is $290, versus $170 for the Roland 440ml? Unless the Epson uses more ink it seems like it would be more cost effective to a Roland, excluding the new EJ640.

i suppose 8 colour vs 6 colour would make it more expensive maybe cheers for the info will have to look at the ink / consumable costs closer.

Fake

Got it in the shop

Got the Epson GS6000 in the shop now, Full service with new heads two days before I picked it up, now it's installed and ready to roll except I cant use Colorburst to run it as dongle / key was missing. Excited to get it printing. might run Flexi initially until i decide if I want the pro version of Colorburst, or go Onyx or Caldera.

jfiscus

Rap Master
When I used to run one the service contract alone was probably about $1500/year, and the printer cost a LOT. That sounds like an awesome deal to me.
Heck, the heads alone are worth that much. The one I had printed amazing and ran pretty fast, no complaints from me.

boxerbay

5 years on our GS6000 and it doesn't stop. prints day and night unattended full rolls. a beast. $270 for ink? buy a full set and your price should drop to $245.00.

greysquirrel

The GS is a pretty solid printer...its been phased out now for a few years...are you sure that it is an EPSON warranty? They should have all expired now...They have their latest Surecolor printers coming out next week...that will be gen 3...
that said

if it is low miles...I'd take a flyer on it. Very easy to use and maintain. Amid 3rd part inks...clean the printer once a week if you want it to last...when cleaning..this is important...pull every cartridge out and shake to agitate the ink...especially the black(un-acknowledged issue...orange and green)
You may be able to find a free version of color burst hat shipped with the printer out on the old inter-webs...

as for a. Gs6000 with miles on it...avoid like the plague...most equipment will slowly die giving you plenty of life to keep it going...this printer when ready will not resuscitate..and I'm talking about one with 5-6 years of production on it....having that warranty pays for the printer...

Fake

5 years on our GS6000 and it doesn't stop. prints day and night unattended full rolls. a beast. $270 for ink? buy a full set and your price should drop to $245.00.

Yeah a few suppliers Ive spoken to have said $235 + GST (10%) per cart if I buy four or more.

Fake

The GS is a pretty solid printer...its been phased out now for a few years...are you sure that it is an EPSON warranty? They should have all expired now...They have their latest Surecolor printers coming out next week...that will be gen 3...
that said

if it is low miles...I'd take a flyer on it. Very easy to use and maintain. Amid 3rd part inks...clean the printer once a week if you want it to last...when cleaning..this is important...pull every cartridge out and shake to agitate the ink...especially the black(un-acknowledged issue...orange and green)
You may be able to find a free version of color burst hat shipped with the printer out on the old inter-webs...

as for a. Gs6000 with miles on it...avoid like the plague...most equipment will slowly die giving you plenty of life to keep it going...this printer when ready will not resuscitate..and I'm talking about one with 5-6 years of production on it....having that warranty pays for the printer...

Without going in to details on why it has warranty, basically the company I bought it from had three of them to fulfil a large contract, something went wrong with ink / etc and Epson stepped in with a tonne of free ink and extended crazy full service + warranty on them, of which as of now there is 11 months still to run on this.

Failing this expiring, I do hold business insurance which will pay up to $20,000 to fix with a $500 excess, so all should be ok.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning it etc, Im a low volume user and the few prints Ive bumped out of it so far the quality is amazing, being able to get close to corporate colours is a godsend and only makes life easier.

Not sure what is low usage, it has 15k sq ft printed, for 70liters of ink used.

My poor Roland SC500 is feeling unloved, but is now also printing the best it has ever printed. Printer jealousy perhaps :Big Laugh

Fake

When I used to run one the service contract alone was probably about $1500/year, and the printer cost a LOT. That sounds like an awesome deal to me.
Heck, the heads alone are worth that much. The one I had printed amazing and ran pretty fast, no complaints from me.

The fact I got the printer with ink in it and a half roll of media loaded, I also got a full set of new ink and a 54inch 50m roll of cheap vinyl included. The deal seemed too good to be true and the guy is a legend, not every day you meet someone thats willing to give someone new to the actual owning and running printers a leg up.

I'm chuffed so far. the plan is to work my *** off and within 1-2 years replace the Roland, then maybe the Epson with new kit.

Fake

Good luck!

I am using Caldera with my new S70. Love it!! Highly recommend going with Caldera.

Yeah Im leaning that way, had a good email chat with a Caldera rep, and said they are looking to introduce a monthly subscription option as presently I cannot fork out the $2400 USD for a licence, even the yearly option is too much at $1200 / year in one hit I need to focus on buying consumables and advertising.

Flexi 12 seems to run it ok, had to mess around a bit with settings but Im hitting my main clients pantone colour fairly accurately so they will be happy with that.

Bly

Are people still getting premature ink fade with the GS6000?
There were a couple of users complaining a while back their wraps weren't lasting.

Fake

Are people still getting premature ink fade with the GS6000?
There were a couple of users complaining a while back their wraps weren't lasting.

Not sure, I'm going to run some unlaminated graphics on my work van as a longevity test, I never take manufacturers excellerated tests as gospel.

My house also faces the sun / mouth to hell so I might put something up there to get a worst case.

the ink is more durable and feels nicer than Roland Eco sol max inks.