• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switch from 6 color to dual 4 color

gfxmarty

Hi all, first off I want to thank everyone here that posts and helps others.
You all have helped me many times as these forums are a wealth of information. I love my JV3 but I'm tired of wasting Lc and Lm ink as I don't really use the extended gamut that often and would love to increase the speed of my machine by switching to dual cmyk. Does anyone know what I need to do to the printer setup to switch over? It came setup as 6 color and I haven't found the info to switch it over.
Any help is much appreciated.

artbot

it's in the manual. are you using third party ink or ss2? my favorite way to do it is to get a clear cart fill it with homebrew solution. manually clean the lines. when you start the ink chage menu unhook your pumps, then when it says "place cleaning tool" take off the chips to your currently oem or aftermarket carts. and pop them in. the printer will think they are cleaning carts and start the pumps squawking attempting to throw away $200 worth of cleaning solution. do this just once because you've already cleaned your heads and lines. when it says "place ink..." replace the chips and pop in the ink carts. then the pumps start squawking forever again. when it finishes attempting to throw away $200 worth of ink. draw the ink down the lines with a syringe, pop on your dampers and then pull ink from the waste line or do a head cleaning or two. and you are done and it cost only a few bucks.

artbot

i don't think i've read more than 5% of that manual. we'ens out in the country aren't to smart-like about book-readin'.

gfxmarty

Ha! You guys are awesome. Guess I should have checked the manual first.
Its a 130-spII that is about 5 yrs old now. I bought her new and she has been good to me.
Always used oem ss2 ink. I've done all my own repairs over the years mostly thanks to this forum. (I've been lurking for a while)
Thanks again all and Artbot, you are the man, I love the stuff you do with your machine.

artbot

when you clean the lines. just pop in a cart with about 1/3 solution (you can even use pure acetone for a line, because it doesn't touch anything). put some solvent in a syringe, take off the damper. carefully place the syringe in the end of the ink line (works if you have the larger damper stepped up ends for the tall dampers). then just push and pull the solvent in the line. you will hear the bubbles blast into the cart when you purge the line. just change out your solvent here and there.

otherwise you have never seen the amount of waste that this printer will do to clean those lines. it must pump for 10 minutes straight. i sometimes think it's broken because it just won't freaking quit. and if on the first pass, it doesn't quite get it perfectly clean, it will need to do it AAAALLLL over again. argh! don't forget to put your caps in soak mode or purge manifold/head with some solution.

in four color mode the printer is pretty fast. 720x720 4 pass, fast print really spits out the media. and the color is exactly the same. you'll use a lot less ink too.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just for fun I'll also note that Lc and Lm do not offer any additional gamut.... and you will love that the speed of the machine suddenly doubles once you go to dual CMYK. :)

gfxmarty

I don't know about you but I have had problems with ink starvation with the tall dampers. I've also had problems with the re-size leaking with the tall ones. I always use new o-rings too. I decided to eliminate the possibility of having those problems by sticking with the cheaper small dampers. Like you I switch them out pretty regularly.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nope just slightly (almost imperceptably) smoother tones and gradients... zero additional gamut. I know many over the years that have switched to 4 color from 6 and never looked back. I've talked to many who switched to 6 color and did switch back. lol

Doesn't give you a wider gamut? I thought that was the point. I'm missing something then.

artbot

lm lc came on to the market back with 720 was the max and for desktop photo printer they used lm lc to cut down on grain in the skin tones and such. the wide format market picked up on it and used it too. even while all the shops were complaining about bad reds or bad blues,,,, they kept feeding up lm lc. even orange and green doesn't seem to me to be the most important although i did run hexachrome back in the day. i would have much preferred a cart of red and a cart of blue or gray for those channels.

now we have better heads better dithering in the rips but lm lc has just stuck.

how can lc or lm give you a wider gamut? water down hot sauce tastes like the same hot sauce. lm and lc are watered down magenta and cyan. it does nothing to introduce a new "blend" of dots. canon now has a 12 color ink set that is cool and amercian ink jets systems has the most outrageous "symphonic" 12 color ink set. would love to get that in a solvent version.

gfxmarty

Yea, those 12 color jobbies are pretty sweet.
Thanks to both of you for clearing up that bit of mis-information I was working on.
New carts on order and I won't be looking back either. Man, it will be nice to get that printer running twice as fast. No more overnight print runs for me. I always sleep terribly on nights like that. Thanks again.

eye4clr

it's in the manual. are you using third party ink or ss2? my favorite way to do it is to get a clear cart fill it with homebrew solution. manually clean the lines. when you start the ink chage menu unhook your pumps, then when it says "place cleaning tool" take off the chips to your currently oem or aftermarket carts. and pop them in. the printer will think they are cleaning carts and start the pumps squawking attempting to throw away $200 worth of cleaning solution. do this just once because you've already cleaned your heads and lines. when it says "place ink..." replace the chips and pop in the ink carts. then the pumps start squawking forever again. when it finishes attempting to throw away $200 worth of ink. draw the ink down the lines with a syringe, pop on your dampers and then pull ink from the waste line or do a head cleaning or two. and you are done and it cost only a few bucks.
It's contributors like you that make boards like this have real value above and beyond the political "discussion" crap.

artbot

thanks guys! nothing worse than a printer with a mind of it's own. also poverty can motivate some interesting "work arounds".