Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Switched to a copy of Vinyl Master Pro, now my MUTOH is cutting way too small

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by gwizah, Nov 14, 2020.

1. gwizah

gwizah New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Miami, FL
    I am using a secondhand MUTOH Kona 1400 which I was using with "easy cut studio" previously and cutting rather well. I switched to a version of Vinyl Master Cut, and now all of a sudden my plotter appears to be cutting nearly -120% smaller than it should.

Quick example: I create a new document, import my artwork and preview it in the window. Everything looks good.

When I send it to the plotter, I see it begins cutting the design according to the cutter settings, but it appears to cut at a scale much smaller than my artwork displayed on the artboard.

I looked at some replies on here, and some info about calibrating the scale in the software to scale the design, however, after a few failed attempts, it started cutting the design larger, but the speed of the machine and the sounds it was making made me cancel the print. I believe I was scaling the "machine units per mm" in the units window when this happened. I decided to ask for help in here, rather than risk causing damage by exceeding the machines capability by screwing with values I shouldn't mess with.

I'm still new to this vinyl game! The worst part is, when I tried loading art into Easy Cut Studio all the same issues are happening there. I never made any adjustments to the plotter itself. What could be causing this issue?

Tags:
  2. jimdtg

jimdtg Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Some places in earth
  3. gwizah

gwizah New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Miami, FL
    Yes, I did. In fact, this is where the issue with the machine behaving strangely occurred. I changed the "Device Units per mm" from the default of "1016" per mm that was in the box, to the "39.37" indicated on that page. When I did a test cut, it was way off.

The test square on the screen was supposed to be 200mm x 250mm but the actual vinyl cut was much smaller, approximately 90mm x 70mm. I tried updating the values to a much higher amount to match the size of the test square as indicated in the calibration settings.

When I did this, I finally got the machine to cut at the specified size, but the machine was cutting almost in a wavy pattern on the larger size artwork. This wasn't happening when I first set up the machine.

4. Umca

Umca Member

Sep 4, 2015
    UA
    The problem may be in not same settings for Program step parameter (same as Resolution). Two values available in settings - 0.01 mm and 0.025 mm.
    In software should be same as in plotter. Check it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gwizah

gwizah New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Miami, FL
    Ok, was able to do a hard reset on my plotter. Checked the resolution in the settings, and updated the mm in

Ok, after checking my plotters settings, apparently the printers firmware has become corrupted. I have found the latest firmware for the machine on Mutoh's FTP site and updated it.

Now everything seems to be working correctly. I had noticed sometimes the head would move around after a print, and the roll of vinyl would jog back and forth for a few minutes. I think maybe something happened like a power surge that made it go all wonky.
    It seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the quick replies!