• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tablet pc to make presentations

bigben

Ok, I'm looking for a tablet pc (ipad style) to make some presentation at my clients offices. I will also use it to read/send emails on the road via wifi (with outlook), go to the internet and create invoices (simply accounting software). But I would also like to run photoshop and illustrator for demonstration purpose. Let say my customer have is photoshop file but can't look at it because he do not have the software. If it have an HDMI output, I could buy a small projector in the future.

Right now, I like the exopc but I would like to check other options. I'm looking for something below the 700$ range (the new asus is cool, but too expensive to carry on the road).

And if some of you tell me I will not have enough ''power'' to open photoshop and illustrator file, right now I'm using my 200$ wife's netbook without any problems. But she want it back...

So let hear your suggestions!

Thanks for your help.

choucove

The best full-feature tablet PC in your price range is probably going to be the HP Slate 500. It's only sold on their business line (their consumer version will be shipping this summer with WebOS operating system instead of Windows 7.) It's got quite a bit of horsepower for a tablet, comparable to a higher-end netbook computer, and the great thing is it runs the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium so you aren't limited to an app store selection, you can pretty much install anything and everything that you can on your PC which means better compatibility and better integration with your normal workflow from your PC.

I'm still on the fence whether or not I wish to go with the HP Slate 500 or the ASUS eeeSlate for my next mobile system.

theskipman_98

I just picked up a used HP TC4400 tablet notebook off ebay for $205 shipped; they have have a quite a few left. They are off leases I guess, but have 12" touch screen (with the stylus), the screen turns and folds back down over top the keyboard. Duo core 2.0 ghz, 1 ghz ram, 60gig hd, wireless, audio, fingerprint lock, and the battery holds up nice. They wiped the hard drives on them but picked up a copy of WinXPTabPC edition for local computer shop (still had original COE sticker on bottom)(Win7 runs great), works great. Hardest thing was getting the stickers off it showing the harddrives were wiped.
Only thing I have done was add 2gig of ram (has 3 gig now), and installed a 320gig SATA hard drive in it.
Notes: make sure to get one with the stylus with it, if not they average about $50. There is no CDROM in them, but they have plenty of USB ports and outputs.

Last edited:

TheSellOut

I'm still on the fence whether or not I wish to go with the HP Slate 500 or the ASUS eeeSlate for my next mobile system.

I tell you what...this ASUS EeeSlate EP121 you mentioned looks pretty awesome!!

They have integrated a Wacom Digitizer into it so it works like a Wacom Cintiq...to me, right now it sounds like the dream tablet for a graphic artist...check out these reviews...I might be getting one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZg9bEPm1E&playnext=1&list=PL572C575CAB0DFD1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LTKFWt-Mrg&feature=related

bigben

I tell you what...this ASUS EeeSlate EP121 you mentioned looks pretty awesome!!

They have integrated a Wacom Digitizer into it so it works like a Wacom Cintiq...to me, right now it sounds like the dream tablet for a graphic artist...check out these reviews...I might be getting one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZg9bEPm1E&playnext=1&list=PL572C575CAB0DFD1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LTKFWt-Mrg&feature=related

It's the one I want, but for around 1000$ it just too expensive for me to cary it all day long. The Exopc can do pretty much the same thing and you can have one for less than 650$. It just depend how much power you need.

TheSellOut

I will have to look into that ExoPC a little more...do you know if it has the Wacom Digitizer too?

That was the thing with the ASUS...it has enough power to use the pen function in PhotoShop ( which I would be using it in Illy) and do really well with the brushes that are not made up of a bunch of layers.

$1000 is a little steep but when you look at a Wacom Cintiq starting at $1000 it seems like a pretty good deal (as long as it works like a Wacom)

signswi

There are a number of cheapo tablets ($200) that turn out pretty decent after you hack them to run Android 3.0 (honeycomb).

I also can't find details on the Asus EP121's digitizer...I find it unlikely that it would be the same number of levels of sensitivity as a Cintiq, but if it is that's impressive.