• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

take up spooler

OK has anyone figured out the secret for getting the take up spool to spool straight. Ive done it about a doesen different times. sometimes with the level sometimes with the plastic loop. niether really get it to work properly. it will start out fine and as the roll gets bigger so does the wandering. the real problem is that it pulls the material through un even and is causeing banding on one side of the material and then the other as the roll wanders on the takeup. Mostly in the darker areas can it be seen.

epson GS 6000 w/ new media feed system

any help would be appreciated because Im just about ready to get the hammer!!:banghead:

Thanks
Wayne

FatCat

I would contact Mike @ Insignia (Merchant Member here) who went through a year of turmoil with his GS 6000. In the end, it was put together out of square which caused a lot of media feed and takeup issues. Don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure he'd have lots to tell you about it.

cool Ill contact him if he doesnt reply to this. although Ive read some of his posts about his GS and I would think he would say get the hammer!!

boxerbay

i ran 12 full rolls back to back last week without a single head strike and they all rolled perfectly. either your loading and attaching the media wrong or your base is not square. there is an adjustment on the right side of take up. must be level. insignias problem - after much frustration - was his base was banged up and twisted out if square.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Along with all of the suggestions mentioned above, it can come down to something as simple as the media not cut off straight or not taping it onto the roll evenly. IIRC the manual says to only use one piece of tape in the center, however, I use one piece at each end of the media. I time when I'm applying it to the roll so that both ends (tape) hit the roller at the same time when the media is not feeding.

There is also an adjustable tensioner on the media roll inserts (what goes into the core of the media) I increased it so that it has more tension & it seems to help.

Check the 4 "feet" that the printer sets on & see if the total width side to side is the same in the front as the rear; this will tell you if your take-up is out of alignment with the machine.

I used to have similar problems a lot, but this weekend I printed almost an entire roll while we were gone & had zero problems.

MikeD

wandering media

make sure that the roll of media on the feed side is wound tightly and not telescoped. The feed roll, platen & pinch wheels, and the take up core must be parallel, and everything square. The cut on your media might not be perfectly square, so you can't rely on that edge to get attached squarely to the core. Instead, send a print out and pause it when you have enough media fed out to allow a full wrap around the take up core. Wrap it and then check to see if it is coming off the platen evenly- then tape in place and resume printing.
The torque limiter on the take up motor should only be tight enough to engage and not be so tight that it pulls media; if you've got banding, it may be from your torque limiter being set to tight and it's over powering the grit roller and bringing too much media through between passes.
The feed roll holder and the takeup holder should also be equidistant from the side of the printer. If they are in line and everything else is square it should track correctly. However, some materials are problematic and the only way to get it done is to make extension walls on your take up flanges.

Good Luck!