• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Temperatures

Signmaker1234

Or is heat not needed if stretching isn't involved? Just going over rivets on a trailer and will be cut at the doors on the vehicle and wrapped around.

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
751 isn't a wrap material (unless they've changed it). You shouldn't need to be heating it at all.
Edit for clarification: Under normal circumstances, heating is not needed. 751 is normally for cut vinyl graphics. Yes, it can be heated a bit to cover rivets that might be under what you're laying, but it will not perform like a wrap film will.

Signmaker1234

I know it's not wrap vinyl, but yes for going over rivets, I wondered what temp it should be heated to?

751 isn't a wrap material (unless they've changed it). You shouldn't need to be heating it at all.
Edit for clarification: Under normal circumstances, heating is not needed. 751 is normally for cut vinyl graphics. Yes, it can be heated a bit to cover rivets that might be under what you're laying, but it will not perform like a wrap film will.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Best asked of Oracal, I'd think. I always did the rivets by hand- if it was too hot to touch, it was too hot. But, there were also times I'd just work my fingers around it. The heat generated there would often suffice.

Pippin Decals

I use 751 a lot and i also use a variable temp heat gun. I run mine at 250 which is the lowest temp it starts at but i keep it about 8 -10 inches away which brings it down to about 200* and it works perfect with a rivet brush or finger glove. Never had an issue .I've done the racing go-carts that have the wings on them that have rivots .....
.......According Per the Oracal spec sheets (or the Oracal USA app available for iPhone and Android), the temperature resistance of Oracal 651 film is -40° F through +176° F. Oracal 751 is rated up to 230° F - ditto for Oracal 951.

Signmaker1234

I use 751 a lot and i also use a variable temp heat gun. I run mine at 250 which is the lowest temp it starts at but i keep it about 8 -10 inches away which brings it down to about 200* and it works perfect with a rivet brush or finger glove. Never had an issue .I've done the racing go-carts that have the wings on them that have rivots .....
.......According Per the Oracal spec sheets (or the Oracal USA app available for iPhone and Android), the temperature resistance of Oracal 651 film is -40° F through +176° F. Oracal 751 is rated up to 230° F - ditto for Oracal 951.

Thanks! I can't find the app you mention in the App Store? I know they used to have an app but I thought it was gone?

Pippin Decals

My heat gun is a wagner ht3500. i think i paid like 35 for it. works awesome... That info i posted Starting after " According" about the app etc was just copied from another site ,I just looked up what your question was about and found that info...

I use oracal 631,651,751 etc except my camo and carbon fiber is a different brand---

Signmaker1234

My heat gun is a wagner ht3500. i think i paid like 35 for it. works awesome... That info i posted Starting after " According" about the app etc was just copied from another site ,I just looked up what your question was about and found that info...

I use oracal 631,651,751 etc except my camo and carbon fiber is a different brand---

Thank you!

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Oracal 751 is a Cast PVC film and should be post heated when stretched over rivets and the like.

You must obtain appropriate heat level to break the memory of the chemical bonds of the PVC. This is usually around 220-230 degrees based on the various types of films out there.

If you are truly wrapping with 751 and not just applying graphics, I would suggest moving to a film that is designed for such a process. It sounds like you are doing straight color and not printed. So a vinyl like 3M 1080, Avery SW900 or Oracal 970 wrapping films might be a better choice and much easier to work with. In my opinion.....