• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Temporary Window Vinyl

Tony Rome

I was looking for an affordable solvent printable vinyl that will remove easily from glass.

Here are the details...
The vinyl will be installed outside (some inside) on GLASS doors. They will be up for a month 2 months max.
I was using a cheap 5 year air release but still a pain for them to pull off after a few weeks and they want to be able to remove it themselves, and so do I due to multiple locations.

Is there anything that will remove easy while keeping it very affordable (remember some must be outside)?
Thanks!

If not I will keep using something like a Oracal 3165RA , Avery 2923 EZ, or Concept 231 Automark.

THANKS!!

Mysticalvibes

I was looking for an affordable solvent printable vinyl that will remove easily from glass.

Here are the details...
The vinyl will be installed outside (some inside) on GLASS doors. They will be up for a month 2 months max.
I was using a cheap 5 year air release but still a pain for them to pull off after a few weeks and they want to be able to remove it themselves, and so do I due to multiple locations.

Is there anything that will remove easy while keeping it very affordable (remember some must be outside)?
Thanks!

If not I will keep using something like a Oracal 3165RA , Avery 2923 EZ, or Concept 231 Automark.

THANKS!!
Orafol do a vinyl known as 3620 which is a removable material. It's reasonably cheap and peels off glass no problem.
Product details ORAJET 3620 - Graphic Products

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mysticalvibes

Anytime I used it I applied it dry. Might be a problem for someone with no experience though. I'd say you could wet apply it if you only used a very fine mist of water

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless it has a new meaning, back in the early days, that meant you could not use a wet method, when everyone said wet applications are the best. If you used water, even a mist, it dilutes the adhesive too much that it might fall off or just let go and fall from it's own weight.

I'm gonna look into this, as we have a buncha windows coming up and this sounds easier than perf.

Tony Rome

I have to be honest, I prefer air release as I sometimes struggle with application, especially outside, on location, around door parts. But I do not want to do it wet either.
Using air release vinyls may have been the worst thing and the best things as I ever fully perfected my skill with non air release vinyls.
I use 3165RA for almost everything I do.
Just being honest.

Mysticalvibes

And sure why not? If air release works easier for you then go for it. You might as well take advantage of the technology. It's a bit like me, I used to use a spirit level, now I normally use a laser level. Same result just frees up a hand instead of holding a level

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, me too.
I used to drink beer..........:beer:beer

Now, I drink Bushmill............:bushmill:

GINO.gif

Mysticalvibes

They make that 40 miles away from where I live. I've been round their distillery for a tour which finishes off with a few free samples! Not a bad way to spend a day ;-)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They make that 40 miles away from where I live. I've been round their distillery for a tour which finishes off with a few free samples! Not a bad way to spend a day ;-)

You're my new bestest friend. o_O

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Here are the details...

Thanks!

THANKS!!

Well for easy of use, this material would work best. No water is needed to apply it like some of the others, this is not a vinyl so it won't shrink or contract. iDot: The Next Generation of Adhesive Technology

This has a better dot than the Neschen EZ Dot and is more affordable than the Drytac Spot On material. (Our guys are the ones that developed the first versions but we kept improving it)

bannertime

I keep a roll of the Orajet 3628 for multipurpose temporary graphics. I've been meaning to try the other materials, but hadn't gotten around to it. I haven't had anything up longer than a month with this stuff, but it has always come off clean. Just have to clean dirt from the edges and fingerprints.

Attachments

• sm-botsale.jpg
    sm-botsale.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 186

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
This is interesting, looking at Fellers (they call it 3621 I think) says it has a WATER BASED removable adhesive, never heard of that, anyone know what that means? You think this is a wet apply?

Hi Tony-

If you wet-apply a water-based clear it will look foggy for a few days until things dry out. You should use a solvent-based adhesive if you are going to wet apply a window graphic and it will look flawless from the minute you install it.

We have two removable clears - one with an air-flow liner and one without. If you wet apply (super easy) you don't need the air-flow liner. There will be a good bond to the window but once you get a handful of film in your hand, you should be able to remove the film with a few good tugs. Anything less will likely not work as well.

There is also a product from Seal called UltraClear PET which uses a unique coating instead of an active adhesive. It is expensive, but optically clear and will remove just like a cling does. The clarity is awesome, though.

You are welcome to reach out if you want more information. My email is mark@hascographics.com

smartgrafix

For temporary window graphics that are easy to install & remove... weirdly we've been using Avery Wall Graphic with the removable adhesive (MPI 2611). It's something we tried one day because we had it in stock and we didn't have time to order anything else. Once it's laminated, it's thick so it's easy for our clients to install themselves, and peels off easily when they are done. The last batch we did for a local coffee shop was only supposed to be for a 4 month campaign.... they extended it and the graphics lasted well for nearly a year (outdoors in our very harsh climate) before they decided it was time for the graphics to come down. Of course, it isn't clear, but our client prefers opaque graphics.

We'd like to try the Drytac Spot On for these applications... but it's pricy for a small sign shop to bring in a roll when it would take us way too long to use it up.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Unless it has a new meaning, back in the early days, that meant you could not use a wet method, when everyone said wet applications are the best. If you used water, even a mist, it dilutes the adhesive too much that it might fall off or just let go and fall from it's own weight.

I'm gonna look into this, as we have a buncha windows coming up and this sounds easier than perf.

If you wet-apply a water-based film, it won't fall off due to its own weight...but it will be foggy for about four or five days. By simply choosing a solvent-based adhesive, it won't have any issue at all. With that said, I've seen water-based adhesives on hard surfaces (like glass) slide down in hot and wet conditions. The adhesive softens a bit.

Bottom line - whenever you go outside, your best bet is a solvent-based adhesive whether it is permanent or removable...white or clear. A solvent film costs about $7.00 more per roll, but is worth it when it comes to peace-of-mind.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
For temporary window graphics that are easy to install & remove... weirdly we've been using Avery Wall Graphic with the removable adhesive (MPI 2611). It's something we tried one day because we had it in stock and we didn't have time to order anything else. Once it's laminated, it's thick so it's easy for our clients to install themselves, and peels off easily when they are done. The last batch we did for a local coffee shop was only supposed to be for a 4 month campaign.... they extended it and the graphics lasted well for nearly a year (outdoors in our very harsh climate) before they decided it was time for the graphics to come down. Of course, it isn't clear, but our client prefers opaque graphics.

We'd like to try the Drytac Spot On for these applications... but it's pricy for a small sign shop to bring in a roll when it would take us way too long to use it up.

I created our own product called iDot, I can do half rolls at 54"x82' if you need a more economical size. My price is more competitive as well. The biggest difference is, my dots stay on longer and do not transfer.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
use static clings.

Static cling is good, but not as easily installed at the store level that's for sure. On larger graphics it's even more difficult, static cling will become trash after about 6 months if you are lucky. The shelf life is very short so unless you use the whole roll, your left over will be trash after 6 months. (Lol we have thrown out hundreds of rolls of static cling over the years)