• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tenant / Owner Requests

fresh

If a tenant comes to you for a sign, and tells you "I have permission from the owner to install this sign", do you go further and require written permission?

If so, is that something you reach out and do, or do you have your client ask their landlord?

I'm working on a project where my client, in no uncertain terms, told me he had explicit permission from the landlord he could install a sign on a side wall of the building. He didn't, and they are actually going to be doing work right where the sign was going to go. Its not actually a huge big deal, I just need to adjust the design a bit to work within the available space. But man, wtf? Why lie? If he said no, I would have called them. I even know the owner of the building, I didn't think it was necessary to confirm what the Doctor(!) told me. I'm annoyed at all the time I wasted. Luckily we found out before I ordered anything, but still. so annoying.

In 13 years, this is a first.

Z SIGNS

If the customer said he has permission.I would put the sign up and get paid.Why bother checking any further.If it turns out he did not have permission it's his problem not yours.

shoresigns

If the landlord didn't give the tenant permission to put up a sign, that's between them. I've never heard of a landlord starting a dispute with the sign company instead of the tenant.

However, if the sign requires a permit, written permission from the building owner is a prerequisite for a sign permit in every municipality I've dealt with.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To get your permit, as mentioned, will instantly bring his/her landlord into the picture.

Why do people lie.....?? For all kindsa reasons. Mostly because everyone today does. No integrity or responsibility left in most people.

Anyway, back to your question, although it's none of my business how, or if at all a tenant and their landlord get along, it does become my business if they want to do certain things, which will involve others. I'm not being nosey, but I 'd rather spend a few minutes with a few questions and answers up front, then having to hash things out later and get in the middle of things. Afterall, you are the professional and should know to find certain things out beforehand. If someone outright lies to you, it will put a bad taste in your mouth and you'll probably do it from here on out.​

fresh

If the landlord didn't give the tenant permission to put up a sign, that's between them. I've never heard of a landlord starting a dispute with the sign company instead of the tenant.

However, if the sign requires a permit, written permission from the building owner is a prerequisite for a sign permit in every municipality I've dealt with.

that is when we learned they did not have permission.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Thats part of the permit process here. We have to provide written permission for a tenant to have a sign installed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, that depends. Did you get a permit ?? If you did, that will most likely spell out all of the participants and in what order of authority.