• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tension Problem with Drytac JM-54 Laminator

tampaprinting

Tampa Printing
I posted earlier about the issues we're experiencing with our laminator.

If I'm laminating something and have 'hand tight' tension on the take-up reel tension knob, if I grab the roll while it's moving, should it stop with very little pressure, or should it be more difficult the harder the tension on the knob???????

With ours, we barely have to touch the moving tension bar in order for it to stop. This is not allowing the backing to be taken up fast enough, and the separation point where the laminate and backing come apart is being drawn into the rollers with the print.

The tech from Florida Graphic Supply came with a replacement tension set-up and took a look and thinks that it's the fact we're using 3M laminate.

Anybody with a laminator and has some insight with how the take-up roll is suppose to be reacting to if you grab it, wheather is wants to stop easily or varies depending on the tension, would help greatly.

Graphics2u

It should not stop very easily. I have one of these and to be honest that is the one complaint I have regarding this machine. The knob that you use to tighten the tension can feel tight but it not really tight enough. Just keep turning it in until the tension roller will keep up with you speed. Also the more tension you create on the supply reel will help to eliminate any ripples you might get in the laminate. I really like the machine but the tensioning solution needs a little redesigning.

No offense to your supplier but I'm very sure it's not a problem with the laminate. If the tension slips to easily, the fact is it's not going to keep up, no matter what lam you're using.