• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

textured garage doors

wes70

Customer wants vinyl cut numbers to be applied to truck bay garage doors. The existing letters were applied a year ago and are coming off. The doors are textured. Is there a "cut" vinyl that would work better than you standard cast vinyl? I was thinking of using a printed vinyl made for brick walls. Any suggestions?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
I haven't done a lot of textured surfaces, but the little I have done I have used 3M IJ8624. It is a bit expensive, but I haven't had to come back and re-do any jobs either.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You can go with some sort of High Tac vinyl...say Arlon or GF. Alumagraphics is a bit out there but would definitely stick. IJ39 is another one for printing. Guessing he wouldn't want lettered aluminum or PVC panels applied to the doors? Could be an easy option there.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If it's just textured but still smooth (I envision my own garage door) then I'm surprised they didn't stick. Are they metal or plastic?

petepaz

any high tack vinyl should work like mentioned already. just make sure to use one that can hold up to the outdoors

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
First make sure there is no oxidation. Most metal garage doors have cheap enamel paint that chalks up with UV exposure. Clean the crap out of them and I would use cast cut film. Sounds like they were not clean enough.

You need a roller like this: https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/rollepro-vinyl-applicator-tvigf8709 , a heatgun and a lot of patience heating up every edge. Other than that in my experience any decent vinyl will work, it doesn't need to be cast.
IMG_20200715_111837.jpg

wes70

I went there this morning too see the failed vinyl. The doors have a texture similar to basic home style garage doors and the numbers were done with calendared vinyl which I feel is the main problem with vinyl adhering properly. I'm going to use cast and some heat and go from there. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Chuck B

Riff Meister
On textured surfaces, before you peel the transfer tape off; go over the graphic with a rivet brush...rubbing in a circular motion. It will help push the graphic down into any recessed areas.

As has been suggested, use a RollePro, rivet brush, gloves or whatever means you can to work the vinyl into the texture and post heat. We put Oracal 751 (I would strongly recommend cast) on two sets of garage doors about four or five years ago and they still look great, although they were brand new doors which probably helped.

Attachments

• texture.jpg
    texture.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 124