• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

That's not a sign... THIS is a sign!

signmeup

Check out the dude on the right side of the first picture. That gives you an idea of how big this sign is for a hand carved sign. This is the biggest one I've done so far. It's 12 feet wide and over five feet high.(the panel itself) It weighs a bit over 500 pounds.

It was a tough one to carve because it was so wide I had to carve with the chisels at arms length. Not a lot of power at full reach.

The sign is made of 1 1/2" Cora foam in three layers for a total of 4 1/2" thick. It has a 1 1/2" square steel tube frame inside that weighed about 100 pounds.

It took 5 firemen and myself to lift it into position 4 feet up on the posts.

Attachments

• FireSign2.jpg
    FireSign2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 156
  • FireSign3.jpg
    FireSign3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 128

Moze

Precision Sign Services
First thought: It looks like a 3' high directional sign and you added the guy in Photoshop to make the directional look huge. lol

But very nice job! The sign looks great.

signmeup

Weasel, It took 6 sheets of HDU. I glued up 2 panels 12' x 65" ... one for the front, one for the back and sandwiched the 1.5" square tube frame between them. I used smaller pieces to fill in between the panels. The frame is "loose" inside so that when the sign expands in the sun it can get bigger without bowing or pulling itself in half when it gets cold here.

Attachments

• letters.jpg
    letters.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 149

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very nice and most impressive in any portfolio.

Is the installer with the screwdriver in shorts wearing OSHA shoe-wear ?? :wink:

signmeup

Thanks Gino.

That guy was arrested the second he touched the sign and was hauled around back, beaten and released.

Marlene

you really did a great job, once again. making everything to scale rally makes this a show piece of a sign. this needs to get into "Sign Craft" for sure!

signmeup

Thanks Guys.

Marlene.... I haven't had anything in Signcraft for a while... good idea. I am sending in a picture to the local papers. Good story about the volunteers raising the funds etc.

Mosh

Pretty cool. All the customer around here would fall over when they heard
what the materials alone cost...Great Job!