• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Bad Wrap update

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
They may have a "new team" but they are still owned by SAi.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: THEBADWRAP.COM
Created on: 14-May-06
Expires on: 14-May-17
Last Updated on: 11-Jan-12

Administrative Contact:
Amiable, Scanvec markb@sign.com
1490 N 2200 W
Suite 120
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
United States
801.478.1900 Fax -- 610-521-0111

The current list price for the DVD is $795.00 as shown at Sign.com which is the SAi Store. It looks to me like the new website is an effort to have The Bad Wrap expand its brand presence.

jkdbjj

For me, we backed off vehicle wraps because interior signage picked up so much.
One of our problems is our clients usually want wraps that are so involved design wise, I was wondering if BadWraps would speed up the "print ready" files process.

Thoughts?

jkdbjj

gotcha thanks! was it a good idea and just fell short? Any details, as I said I tried to search this forum for "bad wraps" and nothing really came up. So anyway, thanks for the info...

MatthewTimothy

the bad wrap is and should be expressed as a DESIGN IDEA software. Only PURPOSE of it is to give the client a general idea visually of how their wrap will look.

Now it does come with measurements as good reference points, but most of them are wrong plus you are wrapping a vehicle to someone else's desire and method

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
gotcha thanks! was it a good idea and just fell short? Any details, as I said I tried to search this forum for "bad wraps" and nothing really came up. So anyway, thanks for the info...

You might find some threads if you search for Sergio Desoto. He was the original creator of the program. He sold it to Fellers and worked for them for a while. Fellers, in turn, sold it to SAi.

mnapuran

I prefer to do my templates on the customers actual vehicle... typically takes 30-45 minutes to template a customers car and size it properly.

ProWraps

bad wrap sux.

PVO is much better. hell art station is much better.

that product should have been put down like a lame horse years ago.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For me, we backed off vehicle wraps because interior signage picked up so much.

Our company has backed off doing wraps to a certain degree. For the amount of design time and labor that goes into producing a wrap the profit side of it kind of sucks. Wrap projects can be a real time vampire, especially if you want to do the job right.

Too many companies got into doing wraps cheap (and often bad) which poisoned the market -at least it's reduced a lot of the profit potential around here. Then you have the myriad of issues with customers. They sometimes want lots of original artwork without wanting to pay for the cost of creating it. Or they have existing assets (logos, photos, etc.) that suck for any large format output, which can lead to logos being re-created and new photos shot. And since so many non-designers out there believe we have the same computers used on CSI Miami they think we can simply tap a few keystrokes and make the computer spit out yet another revision.

I can crank out a dozen or more designs of lighted signs (dimensions, full specs, etc.) in the time it takes to do certain wrap designs. The big signs are what keep our doors open. Wraps are almost a loss leader just to gain attention in the community. Sometimes we get lucky and the customer will want something simple. Still, you gotta properly measure the vehicle and create a design template from that. The process doesn't happen in the snap of a finger.

formanek

Our company has backed off doing wraps to a certain degree. For the amount of design time and labor that goes into producing a wrap the profit side of it kind of sucks. Wrap projects can be a real time vampire, especially if you want to do the job right.

Too many companies got into doing wraps cheap (and often bad) which poisoned the market -at least it's reduced a lot of the profit potential around here. Then you have the myriad of issues with customers. They sometimes want lots of original artwork without wanting to pay for the cost of creating it. Or they have existing assets (logos, photos, etc.) that suck for any large format output, which can lead to logos being re-created and new photos shot. And since so many non-designers out there believe we have the same computers used on CSI Miami they think we can simply tap a few keystrokes and make the computer spit out yet another revision.

I can crank out a dozen or more designs of lighted signs (dimensions, full specs, etc.) in the time it takes to do certain wrap designs. The big signs are what keep our doors open. Wraps are almost a loss leader just to gain attention in the community. Sometimes we get lucky and the customer will want something simple. Still, you gotta properly measure the vehicle and create a design template from that. The process doesn't happen in the snap of a finger.

It's called competition and if customers can't realize quality you don't want them anyway. I also own a restaurant. Basically what I understand you saying is if my restaurant gets frustrated because McDonald's can do it cheaper I should quick much like you did doing wraps? We never bow down to the chain restaurants because they shouldn't be a comparison.

To me you gave up too easy, but I don't know anything about it other than what you just typed. I may be reading it incorrectly.

Mosh

So Sergio must be reading this, why does he not contribute? Don't know you man but you don't have to get paid for everything, you seem to have the know on wraps. You know I don't do signs for money I am just here to help out, you must need the money for your advise or what? Follow the Mosh example, help the fellow signman....or ARE you just about the Bens??? I was carving Redwood signs, stripping Hogs, doing hand lettering for 23 years....and all pretty much for free thanks to my blessings. My thing is I give ALL the knowledge I have for FREEE!!! Sorry for the Mosh Rant......but just wish that if you read then you should contribute!!!!.... No dis to Sergio my man. Pe-otu

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
formanek said:
It's called competition and if customers can't realize quality you don't want them anyway. I also own a restaurant. Basically what I understand you saying is if my restaurant gets frustrated because McDonald's can do it cheaper I should quick much like you did doing wraps? We never bow down to the chain restaurants because they shouldn't be a comparison.

The average person is smart enough to understand the difference between a fast food joint and a real dine-in restaurant. However, that understanding of differences often does not extend to customers buying signs or vehicle wraps. They just want the cheapest price regardless when they're comparing apples to oranges between what one shop and another produces.

It's often easier to talk sense into a customer about a lighted sign (things like UL Listing, proper quality components, total cost of ownership, etc.) than it is regarding a wrap. A vehicle wrap done on the cheap and fast will have differences that are not obvious to customers.

jkdbjj

The average person is smart enough to understand the difference between a fast food joint and a real dine-in restaurant. However, that understanding of differences often does not extend to customers buying signs or vehicle wraps. They just want the cheapest price regardless when they're comparing apples to oranges between what one shop and another produces.

It's often easier to talk sense into a customer about a lighted sign (things like UL Listing, proper quality components, total cost of ownership, etc.) than it is regarding a wrap. A vehicle wrap done on the cheap and fast will have differences that are not obvious to customers.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this.
I mean occasionally I'll get an agency job, and those work out well in my past experience. However, to get a private company that doesn't know what they want, seems for me at least to be more of a headache.
I suppose if you are churning out 3 or 4 a month or whatever the magic number is, then the margins will be good on volume. However, around here the days of 3-5 grand for a decent SUV wrap are gone... Your lucky to get 2500, but more like 1700-2000.

SignBurst PCs

OK. This is bad info. First, the Bad Wrap software does not suck. It is a great idea and a huge time-saver if you know how to use it properly. If the template for your vehicle is in the list, it can save you a bunch of time, especially for someone who is new to wrap design. Photographing, masking, and setup of a template (even for a good designer) can take a good chunk of time.

BUT, there in lies the problem. It has gone through several owners and was not properly supported or updated. I am aware that it is under new ownership and just because the website domain hasn't been transferred, it doesn't mean that it isn't in the works.

I would keep an eye out for news regarding this in upcoming weeks :wink:. This has huge potential and if properly supported and updated, could be great stuff. Even in its origianl form, it worked very well. I was just disappointed in the lack of support and updates as it went through different owners. But if the new owners are passionate about the product, this could all turn around. To be fair, I believe that SAi did their best to keep up with the software, but it was a bit out of their comfort zone and it was a struggle. In no way am I speaking for SAi or the new owners (or management team, who ever they are), these are simply my thoughts and opinions.