• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The best cheap customer so far!!!

Mikeifg

So I was contacted to do a job for a local hvac company. They wanted a pickup done. Their other vehicles were horrible 5 different fonts and no sense of design. I asked them where they were done before and they tell me from a local sign guy. Our local lowballer is who. well they were not happy with his work and I guess he is in some financial difficulty right now. I guess because of the low prices. Anyway gave them my quote which would be the norm that anyone here who has been in the business awhile would charge. And the customer says "Well your a little high we'll just stick with what were getting now." I know I almost busted out laughing it's getting pathetic with all of the shops out there who for one thing can't design or charge enough. The Walmart shops kill me. plus this guy charges for 1 color door decals for a local trucking company mind you 5 different fonts in this design again! 6.00 per decal for a 12" x 24" decal.

:banghead:

Tim Aucoin

:rolleyes: Let's see...
- They were not happy with his work, hence they're coming to you.
- You were "a little" high, so they're going to stick with what they're getting? The guy they're not happy with??? :banghead::banghead:
So, basically, it's not the quality of the work they give a hoot about, it's about getting whatever crap they can get for the lowest possible price, right? :doh:
I understand your frustration.

S

scarface

Wow, we honestly need to have some solutions to make customers actually care about a nice solid price and a quality design.

I always get people who say that, i honestly think people care souly on price anymore and that's it.

Any tips guys?

SignManiac

I just show them plenty of before and afters. If they still insist on someone else's before, here's the door!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They get what they pay for.... nothing more.... nothing less.

If the guy wants to be a fool, don't hang around him. Get rid of him, because the next lowballer to waltz by will get his immediate attention.

TheSnowman

Sounds like a long time excavating company smack between you and I Mike. You may or may not know who I'm referring to. They came to me because they were changing the name of the company, and we did all the layout work, and several "I need to pick these up in an hour" jobs. Then he comes in last week and says "We're gonna go in a different direction"...me thinking with the design, him talking about another company.

He claimed they got such an "amazing deal" that he couldn't turn it down. Funny thing was, I never quoted the job for him yet. At least he said bill me for what we'd done thus far. Gotta love this area!

Fitch

"Wow, we honestly need to have some solutions to make customers actually care about a nice solid price and a quality design.

I always get people who say that, i honestly think people care souly on price anymore and that's it.

Any tips guys? "

Industry experience, design abilty, mathematics capability, 30 artworks above 7.5 scoring, and above minimum knowledge, gets you a MINIMUM FEE SCALE BOOK and a LICENCE !!!!!! Go below the minimum without just cause - licence either suspended, revoked or cancelled. That way EVERYONE gets good money. Then it's up to the design.

How many 5 star restaurants are there ? People WILL pay for quality.

weaselboogie

I had one of those except it wasn't so much as the product sucked as they said that the salesman was an ass. After my quote, they stuck with the salesman. I guess a few bucks more ($15) was too expensive and they'd rather deal with a salesman with no people skills.

Mikeifg

Sounds like a long time excavating company smack between you and I Mike. You may or may not know who I'm referring to. They came to me because they were changing the name of the company, and we did all the layout work, and several "I need to pick these up in an hour" jobs. Then he comes in last week and says "We're gonna go in a different direction"...me thinking with the design, him talking about another company.

He claimed they got such an "amazing deal" that he couldn't turn it down. Funny thing was, I never quoted the job for him yet. At least he said bill me for what we'd done thus far. Gotta love this area!

The only one I ever dealt with was Wisel. Hope it wasn't them that did that to you. They totally hosed me the same way.