• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The market for car wrap

VinylCutter

Hello guys,

It is wonderful seeing all you professionals discussing the details of the business at this forum.

I am Sankalp from India, we currently do mainly tefflon coating and interior cleaning for cars. Also help out customers with minor scrathes, dents, etc.

Interestingly, car wrapping almost doesnt happen in India. Very few people opt for a car wrap. There are very few people doing this business here.

We are thinking of starting with car wraps. Need help , assistance , inputs on who could be our probable customers. In this forum, I see that many wraps are for business vehicles where somebody wants to advertise his business through his vehicle, this is not a very standard practice here and people will hesitate to do so.

MY best shot is a normal household vehicle. But, people also will think that they are actually spoiling the vehicle if they are wrapping it up. I understand from this forum that users are not hesitant to wrap a Porsche with a wrap, which means they think wrap is equally good as paint. Here, till people are used to the idea wrap will be thought of as nothing more than a sticker.

If you were to start selling wrap in this market where most society is not rich, but you got a huge middle class society: they will have 1 vehicle per home and spend money on only something absolutely necessary or something that attracts them. Then you have also have a good number of higher middle class people and also a good number of rich. But that also doesn't mean that people here have 2-3 cars per household. But still it remains a huge market and there's absolutely nobody doing this business.

I hope I am able to make my point.

Snydo

Do you currently own a printer or laminator? With your climate UV laminate would definately be reccomended. An install area that is clean and out of the wind will also be a huge asset. If I'm not mistaken you guys drive smaller cars in India, less material is a good thing as wrap materials are on the expensive side.

VinylCutter

Thanks for the reply

I currently own a Jaguar 4feet plotter and make indoor decals. I do not own a laminator or a printer, my best bet is to sell monochrome wraps which I can make using a plotter. And may be add as much colors to it by plotting the wrap in different colors.

A print will need a laminate, yes, because it will fade out. If I get multicolored jobs, I can get the print-laminate outsourced. But till I am in a position to buy the printer-laminate, my effort will be to get as much monchromatic work as possible.

Yes, smaller cars, and i mostly thinking household here (i may be wrong). So the personal-car buyer wont want to turn his car all colorful, is it? He'd like may be to wrap the door or some other part or get some nice design for the front. Or may be some enthu college kids would want to wrap the entire car.

More inputs are welcome.

kanini

You could perhaps try to offer color-change wraps as you cover the vehicle with vinyl in another color thus changing the color of the vehicle (or a part of it for example the hood or roof). For this you can buy wrap vinyl in the desired color and not needing an printer or laminator. You also get a feeling for how it feels to wrap a vehicle and gain experience. If you notice it's going well for you, you can think about a printer+laminator later on. Good luck!

VinylCutter

Thanks for the reply Kanini.

We have been making indoor decals for 2-3 years now. Have also done some full wall print murals with laminate, so have an idea about installation. My current plan is also what you said:

"You could perhaps try to offer color-change wraps as you cover the vehicle with vinyl in another color thus changing the color of the vehicle (or a part of it for example the hood or roof). For this you can buy wrap vinyl in the desired color and not needing an printer or laminator"

Just wondering how much market is available for the same, and which I will know only after I start, that is true. But in this forum we have this wonderful advantage of getting opinions from all over the world.