• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Perseids meteor shower will light up the summer skies this weekend

ThinkRight

Are you ready to party with the stars? The Perseids, which periodically shower the night skies with meteors, or “falling stars,” will reach their August peak this weekend. And that means thousands of astronomers, plus ordinary folks who love to be bedazzled, will head for the hills, deserts and other remote spots for star-gazing parties.

No telescope or other equipment is required to view this celestial spectacle, which is visible to the naked eye. You just need to stay up late (or get up before dawn), dress for the weather and pick the right place. Barring a cloud cover, nearly anywhere in the U.S. that is away from bright city lights should give you a glimpse. But certain spots possess extra star power. Here are five of them:
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/5-great-places-to-catch-a-falling-star.html
:clapping:

Desert_Signs

Took my boys (12 and 3) out camping for this last night. We saw a lot. Some really good ones that left lingering smoke trails. My 3 year old was funny as could be. When we started, I would see one and say so. He would say "YEAH! I saw it too! Cool!" even though I knew he hadn't really seen it. He didn't know what we were looking for, so it wasn't that he was lying, he just thought I was pointing out stars.

And then he saw one. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He starts yelling WOWOWOWOWOW! DADDY DADDY! I THINK ALIENS LANDED! He was so cute.

It was a wonderful night, staying up late, just spending time with them out in the wild.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Took my boys (12 and 3) out camping for this last night. We saw a lot. Some really good ones that left lingering smoke trails. My 3 year old was funny as could be. When we started, I would see one and say so. He would say "YEAH! I saw it too! Cool!" even though I knew he hadn't really seen it. He didn't know what we were looking for, so it wasn't that he was lying, he just thought I was pointing out stars.

And then he saw one. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He starts yelling WOWOWOWOWOW! DADDY DADDY! I THINK ALIENS LANDED! He was so cute.

It was a wonderful night, staying up late, just spending time with them out in the wild.

Great story. Sounds like a good one to tell when he gets older and has his girlfriends over. :thumb:

I loved when my kids were small and I would be amazed at their wonderment of new things.