• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The right media for the job?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys/Gals, I am looking for media suggestions for a big job I have coming up. I have a roughly 8'x40' sign that is going to be all digitally printed and I was looking for media recommendations. Normally when printing a flat sign such as this that is outdoors and needs a long life, I grab 3751RA and a laminate with 290, but since this is just flat ACM panels, I was wondering if there was a better alternative? (printing with my Roland and eco-sol inks) I want something cast with as long of a life as I can. I just didn't know if there was any money to be saved with a different vinyl than a wrapping cast. I'm not terribly familiar with other brands and offerings, as my main supplier stocks Orafol.

I am only looking to save money if there is a better suited product, longevity is what I am after.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Why does it need to be cast? We generally use IJ35C with a Matt lam (Arlon 3420) (unless we direct print).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Remember, it's not how long the vinyl will last, but how long your inks will last. Most vinyls will go 10 years, but most inks are 4 to 6 years plus whatever you get extra with laminate, maybe 10 months or 18 more. Also, which way the sign is facing and what colors are being used will impact on the durability of the inks.

CanuckSigns

If you have experience with the Oracal product and are happy with it I would stick with it, a large job like this is not the place to test out new materials in hopes of saving a few hundred bucks.

signheremd

The Eco-Solvent Inks are good for 3 or more years without lamination and Oraguard 290 extends UV protect by 4 or more years. We use Oracal 3951RA, which is about $34 bucks more pre 54"x50yd roll - it is a 10year and only 2mil thick. You can get cheaper vinyl but in the end signs are likely to last less long and so will your reputation... Now there is one vinyl we also like that we use frequently to wrap vehicles - Arlon SLX Cast Wrap and their 3270 Laminate (both 7 year materials). A little less expensive than the Oracal, but does need to be post form heated (heat activates the adhesive fully). Fellers sells this, will probably save you about $70 per roll but you will spend a bit more in labor... I think you should stick to your current vinyl for this job, for what it is worth.

JamisonSigns

Signs of all kinds.
I have been running Arlon through my Roland for the last year and really like the preformance.

Arlon Mid Range:
DPF 4600XL - Arlon 3420 Lam (Rated 3-5)

Arlon High End - (Use this for wrapping ATM kiosks) (Rated 5-7)
DPF 6100XLP - Arlon 3220 Lam

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Did you quote the job or are they just giving it to you without knowing a price?

I quoted the job based on my normal materials.

If you have experience with the Oracal product and are happy with it I would stick with it, a large job like this is not the place to test out new materials in hopes of saving a few hundred bucks.

The purpose of posting this thread was for real life reviews, not trying to pick a material from a book. I thought there may be a better suited vinyl available that may also happen to be cheaper. Saving money was not the driving force of this thread.

The Eco-Solvent Inks are good for 3 or more years without lamination and Oraguard 290 extends UV protect by 4 or more years. We use Oracal 3951RA, which is about $34 bucks more pre 54"x50yd roll - it is a 10year and only 2mil thick. You can get cheaper vinyl but in the end signs are likely to last less long and so will your reputation... Now there is one vinyl we also like that we use frequently to wrap vehicles - Arlon SLX Cast Wrap and their 3270 Laminate (both 7 year materials). A little less expensive than the Oracal, but does need to be post form heated (heat activates the adhesive fully). Fellers sells this, will probably save you about $70 per roll but you will spend a bit more in labor... I think you should stick to your current vinyl for this job, for what it is worth.

I have not had terribly good luck with 3951 over the years for a couple of different reasons, however I used to have a few rolls, years ago that were 3951 without the RA properties and I was thinking that may be something I needed to look for again. (or something along those lines) I appreciate the feedback, and I'm sorry I mentioned saving a dollar when I didn't want that to have any bearing on the topic.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If it was single panel I'd use IJ40c or 3551 with 215 laminate. If it's paneled a cast would probably be better to minimize the risk of the material shrinking at the joints.