• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Sign Making Industry and the Common Good

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In my lifetime, I have personally met several hundred sign makers. Most of them while I was working at Product Sign Supplies in San Jose, CA (Now owned by Glantz) Quite often they would sit down at my desk, I was the purchasing manager, and just talk about what was going on in their shop, the business side, management, and marketing. We always had what I like to describe as productive conversations.
Here, I would like to begin to share my own perspective on the sign making industry. First of all, your product influences many people every day. I like to think of it as being for the common good. Case-in-point, as I drive around in the Bay Area, I notice all of the vehicles that have your handy work.
Often, as I would ride with one of my clients, when we could go to lunch, I would hear, “We did that box truck.” Oh yes and if they saw any vehicle with their work, they would immediately point it out with a sense of pride. I enjoyed it.
So, now it is your turn. How do you feel about your work and the common good?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
When I see a nice sign, I tell my wife I made it. When I see an ugly sign, I say tex made it.
istockphoto-463708795-612x612.jpg

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In my lifetime, I have personally met several hundred sign makers. Most of them while I was working at Product Sign Supplies in San Jose, CA (Now owned by Glantz) Quite often they would sit down at my desk, I was the purchasing manager, and just talk about what was going on in their shop, the business side, management, and marketing. We always had what I like to describe as productive conversations.
Here, I would like to begin to share my own perspective on the sign making industry. First of all, your product influences many people every day. I like to think of it as being for the common good. Case-in-point, as I drive around in the Bay Area, I notice all of the vehicles that have your handy work.
Often, as I would ride with one of my clients, when we could go to lunch, I would hear, “We did that box truck.” Oh yes and if they saw any vehicle with their work, they would immediately point it out with a sense of pride. I enjoyed it.
So, now it is your turn. How do you feel about your work and the common good?
Even today, 35 years later, when I drive passed a sign I made in Pleasanton CA, I have a strong sense of pride. It is on a bandstand in a public park, right on the main street through town. Before the pandemic, they had bands play there on summer weekends. Tens of thousands of people have seen the work I did for the common good. I'd love to hear your stories.

Jeremiah

I have decided that " common good" is for me here. Does anyone know if I can block seeing 100% of the General Chit Chat here ? Is there a setting that I can change to block only general chit chat ?

C

ColoPrinthead

I remember working at a large print house in Dallas and coming back from lunch with a bunch of the guys on the highway all talking and having fun, then we saw a semi we had worked on a week earlier and everyone fell silent and the mood was ruined. I took a much need week of from that job and was happy to get away from work and go to Bonaroo, when I finally got to the festival and walked around I was greeting by an MLB trailer my work had done.

Now I'm just amazed at how much crap I have made that is all over the metro and it makes it easy for me to explain the different work I have done.

I'm more proud of things I made for Spacex and working with blueprints for the F35 project when I took a detour into aerotech running printers and an Esko a couple of years ago.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I often get phone calls just tell me how much they "love" my products. I appreciate it when customers video my tools in action and post them on YouTube. I have sent the tools all over the world including India, Germany, Australia, Mexico to name a few. It makes me feel accomplished that I am able to help so many shops in a way that they can make better profits.

Reveal1

For me, it's architectural graphics that satisfy my creative side and generate positive results for my customers. Doing the 'Common Good' is not why I'm in business, but if I can do well for my paying customers, it generates revenue for my family and tax receipts for the government bureaucrats so they can pursue their version of common good.

You see Mentor? No need to change your name. You are inching closer to a topic of interest.

Peachtree Signs

whenever I interview at sign shops and they ask what I like about the job and I would always respond with "seeing my work around town in large print"

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
whenever I interview at sign shops and they ask what I like about the job and I would always respond with "seeing my work around town in large print"
Peachtree Signs, thank you for your unique way of putting it.
Do you happen to maybe have any copies of those interviews?
Robert Armerding

Stacey K

I like making signs
I like seeing my work around town but it's the little things that give me the most pride. A single sign for a veteran, a small decal that puts the finishing touch on someones crafty work, a farm sign that replaces the one that was there from 1922. I hate some of those little jobs but they are often very satisfying once the customer see the finished product. What is a pain for me could be a lifetime of work for another. Each job is important.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I like seeing my work around town but it's the little things that give me the most pride. A single sign for a veteran, a small decal that puts the finishing touch on someones crafty work, a farm sign that replaces the one that was there from 1922. I hate some of those little jobs but they are often very satisfying once the customer see the finished product. What is a pain for me could be a lifetime of work for another. Each job is important.
Stacey K,
I really appreciate your perspective. I can see that you value your relationships with your clients. I think you have a wonderful potential just waiting to come alive.
Robert