• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The things we do....

gabagoo

Sort of got roped into a tricky install this morning.

Received a call from a body shop that I generally do brake caliper decals for. They do work on astin martins, porches lambo's you name it.... I get there and I said OK where is the car and what do you want put on it.... I was thinking it was some small decal...

He told me that the the car was not there but at the dealership, so off we go. A 5 minute drive to this dealership that sells nothing but those types of cars mentioned earlier in the thread. I start to get a little nervous as I really don't like working on site and least of all on these types of cars.. In any case they show me the car. A fairly new lambourghini dark aqua. I asked, so how much does a car like this go for?

$750,000 was the reply... Now I am getting very uncomfortable and ask, so where is the decal. They hand me this black cut out decal that was a"SV"...see attachment... So this 39" by 10" decal cost the customer $1000.00... a deal because you got a left and a right!!!:ROFLMAO:

Now the best part of this is that the owner of the car paid someone $8000.00 for a ceramic wax job....That's right...$8000.00!!!! I was expected to put the decal over the wax which I flat out told them was wrong, but the customer insisted, so I did. I warned them that I could not be held responsible if the decal lifted off anytime soon, and they were OK with it, besides these 2 decals were worth about $20.00 in material. Was a bit tricky as even the tape would not hold well, got it down fine although removing the pre mask was a chore. Told them to let it sit and cure...got the hell out

Attachments

• sv.jpg
    sv.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 292

Jburns

awesome. - that car is probably going to see daylight - 20 maybe 30 times per year. garaged and climate controlled the rest of the time.

Were there any brand markings on the backing paper? I'm just curious what kind of vinyl they manage to cut these from that they can get away with charging $1000. I'm thinking of upping my shop rate to $500 an hour after this. Hahaha!

Kottwitz-Graphics

What's bad is it will be laying on the floor by the car the next morning...

Now do you charge extra for the labor install because of what it is, and they can afford it? Or do you just ask to take it out for a quick spin? (And by that I mean donuts in the parking lot. )

Kwiksigns

wookie
Sometimes it is hit or miss with these guys. My father and I stopped by a little car meet at one of our clients restaurants. They hosted a little contest outside in the parking lot.l Maybe 75 cars altogether from aston martin, lambo and ferrari to mustings, civics, trucks and special vehicles. But I digress...

There was a guy with a brand new Lamborghini but I forget which model. He had some red vinyl on there to match his interior. Maybe like 5 sqft total. He said the guy charged him $75 and he wanted stripes but Didn't wanna go back to the same guy because he thinks he got ripped off and he didn't wanna spend more than $150... a car worth over a half mil and he gets upset about forking over $500 for stripes? I wouldn't have even done them for 5... prolly up the price because of what it is.... Just my experience.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
An $8k wax job? That sounds like something you'd have to fly to Thailand to get.

wayne k
guam usa

It's a ceramic coating, not exactly a wax. It is basically permanent and will have to be sanded off. The decals will not stick well to it, and like previously said will probably come off. A lot of manufacturers are doing testing on these coatings to see if they can help the longevity of wraps and other vinyl products if applied on top of them.

gabagoo

Were there any brand markings on the backing paper? I'm just curious what kind of vinyl they manage to cut these from that they can get away with charging $1000. I'm thinking of upping my shop rate to $500 an hour after this. Hahaha!

It was 3m 100 series electrocut. The matte black had a white backing.....I told the service guys that the cost on the material for these 2 was under $25.00 lol

gabagoo

It's a ceramic coating, not exactly a wax. It is basically permanent and will have to be sanded off. The decals will not stick well to it, and like previously said will probably come off. A lot of manufacturers are doing testing on these coatings to see if they can help the longevity of wraps and other vinyl products if applied on top of them.

Well I warned them and they said to proceed..... The customer wanted the decal on and I guess if he can afford an $8000.00 wax job, whats a $1000.00 to try anyhow.

jman

Cha Ching lol, Offer to recut the graphics if those ones don't stay on for $500 installed lol

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Sort of got roped into a tricky install this morning.

Received a call from a body shop that I generally do brake caliper decals for. They do work on astin martins, porches lambo's you name it.... I get there and I said OK where is the car and what do you want put on it.... I was thinking it was some small decal...

He told me that the the car was not there but at the dealership, so off we go. A 5 minute drive to this dealership that sells nothing but those types of cars mentioned earlier in the thread. I start to get a little nervous as I really don't like working on site and least of all on these types of cars.. In any case they show me the car. A fairly new lambourghini dark aqua. I asked, so how much does a car like this go for?

$750,000 was the reply... Now I am getting very uncomfortable and ask, so where is the decal. They hand me this black cut out decal that was a"SV"...see attachment... So this 39" by 10" decal cost the customer $1000.00... a deal because you got a left and a right!!!:ROFLMAO:

Now the best part of this is that the owner of the car paid someone $8000.00 for a ceramic wax job....That's right...$8000.00!!!! I was expected to put the decal over the wax which I flat out told them was wrong, but the customer insisted, so I did. I warned them that I could not be held responsible if the decal lifted off anytime soon, and they were OK with it, besides these 2 decals were worth about $20.00 in material. Was a bit tricky as even the tape would not hold well, got it down fine although removing the pre mask was a chore. Told them to let it sit and cure...got the hell out

They call that green a "dark aqua"?