• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thebest printer for Motocross and carwraps

john111

Hello,

I am new to sign making industries ,having experience only with inkjek printers.I would like to purchase a solvent printer to print durable decals for motocross,ATV's,car decals and boat decals.

Is there a printer that would be suited best for all the work mentioned above ?

Would it be ok,to use mild-solvent or eco-solvent inks ?

Thank you

threeputt

Pretty broad question. Sure to spark the Roland vs. Mimaki vs. (fill in the blank) debate.

Any solvent printer will do the job. Find one that offers the options you want int he price range you want. Inquire around about reliable dealers, too.

We use Roland, btw.

Ragnabrok

Find one that has a local service tech. nothing like your printer needing something, and waiting for someone to fly or drive in.

Rooster

You'll have a heck of a time matching the Kawi green and even more trouble getting the proper KTM orange with most solvent printers.

The best machine that can handle those colors is the Epson GS6000 with their special orange and green inks. Or you could go to something like a summa DC4 which knocks the crap out of a solvent printer when it comes to bright solid colors. It won't print the same photo quality though, so it's not as good for wraps.

Mosh

Got tired of paying for graphix, so you are going to do them yourself?
You do know you are going to need a minimum $20K plus in equipment and materials to get started. And someone to design, laminate and apply said graphix. What is you experience with said above?

We have all roland printes, so I will say they are the best.

john111

What I was wondering is,If mass produced motocross graphics sold by famous companies are done by thermal or inkjet technology?

jeph4e

coming soon

BTW: Convex® Reverse 20 mil is ready for launch. Reverse print (i.e. sub surface). We have our High-Bond adhesive that in white (7 mil) ready too. 27 mil decal. We have some samples ready but it isn't launched yet.

I actually figured out a way to laminate our Convex Twenty Laminate (announced today) to it and ended up with a 47 mil decal. not recommended but fun :)

:thread

TresL

Yeap, I just called to talk with Scott about the Subsurface material I've been trying to get into Convex production material for a couple years...:)

jeph4e

Yeap, I just called to talk with Scott about the Subsurface material I've been trying to get into Convex production material for a couple years...:)

Well it didn't make a whole lot of sense without a white adhesive as most inkjets can't print white.

The High-Bond White PSA is the real innovation here. *That* is the real accomplishment.

Extremely useful for Edge users to as flood coat white can sometimes have (ahem) issues.

jeph4e

Yeap, Pro-Patch with double faced adhesive. :)

Pretty easy to work with too. I've got some printed samples ready. Was a lot faster than I thought it would be.

Works fantastic on our Armalex polycarbonates too.

Last edited:

frontside

BTW: Convex® Reverse 20 mil is ready for launch. Reverse print (i.e. sub surface). We have our High-Bond adhesive that in white (7 mil) ready too. 27 mil decal. We have some samples ready but it isn't launched yet.

I actually figured out a way to laminate our Convex Twenty Laminate (announced today) to it and ended up with a 47 mil decal. not recommended but fun :)

:thread

I'm just curious to see how it's going and of course ..... the price :Cool 2: