• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermoflex and Sunbrella Material

Bigdawg

Just Me
Has anyone used Thermoflex on Sunbrella canvas material?

Description on the spec sheet is 100% solution dyed acrylic fibers, soil/stain resistant and a fluorocarbon finish.

So can it stand the heat of pressing? And if so - will it actually adhere? Or will it melt in the heat press?

I've done canvas before, but it was untreated. Anyone have any insight into how this will work or if it will?

trik

Hey Stacy, we have heat pressed on a ton of products. Every umbrella, awning, etc and have always been fine. That being said I can not say for sure it has been Sunbrella material for sure. I would use Thermoflex +, the vinyl made for nylon, as that stuff will adhere to just about everything.

If there is time, is there a way to get a sample of the material for a test? We did that for 40 boat canvases, and all was good. Good luck and post back if it works ;-)

visual800

awesome post. I have been looking for an alternative graphics film for the sunbrella system. That stuff we buy now (specified by sunbrella) is high as hell and limited to only white. I have ordered a sample from them to try it out.

when we get it pressed on Ill make comments

Graphics2u

I'd definately use the stuff for nylon. No experience with Sunbrella but if it's coated that'll be the best bet. Sample first!

jhanson

Im sorry whats this posted for?

OP was asking if he could heat press to Sunbrella. Most heat transfer films require a setting temperature of about 325F, which is above the melting point of acrylic.

Unless there are some low-temp transfer films for acrylic that I'm not aware of...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Tee-hee... I'm a she :smile:

The material it looks like we will try is the Thermoflex Banner 2. Made especially for coated material and has a low enough heat point you can actually use an iron. If the job comes through, we'll try a piece on an inside seam first (these are kiosk covers that are already manufactured, so glad we don't have to try to press)... if that works we'll do the sides.

Cost for this thermo is almost double the cost of the regular thermoflex.