• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thick Striping on Truck

kroger

I am putting a 2-2.5” stripe on a truck boxes where it meets the truck liner so right at the top. I always find it hard to make any slight curve with a stripe this wide and trying not to have a splice. What is the best way to make that curve at the end that goes around to the tailgate? I precut the stripe by hand to get a 8’ plus length. Should I leave a good chunk at the end to wrap it then trim with an exacto? I had to splice in the photo below. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 9C465293-DA5D-4BBB-A42A-766FF9D3E145.jpeg
    9C465293-DA5D-4BBB-A42A-766FF9D3E145.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 281
  • 24422FE8-ADFE-4429-BBF1-245304DD280C.jpeg
    24422FE8-ADFE-4429-BBF1-245304DD280C.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 202

FCD

I would use 3M Finish Line Knifeless Tape to lay out your lines, then Lay the vinyl on top in one piece, enough to cover each edge by about an inch, you should only need to use a knife on the ends to cut flush with the bed. Are you using Cast or Calendared vinyl?

kroger

I use cast for vehicles and anything outside. I did use the 3m knifeless tape which didn’t go well. Lol. It’s been a while since I used it. Does it get old? I didn’t find that it has a nice clean cut. I need more practise too! I did try heat but i ended up scraping that piece. I’m not fond of the striping but when I do the decals I can’t say no to the trim. Thanks

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
The knifeless tape is pretty sweet. I have to admit I wasn't a believer but our installer gave me a quick lesson and it's slick. The only other suggestion would be to run some masking tape down as a guide for a knife, but that seems like danger-zone.

Yeah I wasn't getting a clean cut either, but our installer gave me some pointers on angle and getting it started, and it made a big difference. It might be worth looking up some videos or practicing on scraps? That's what we were doing.

signheremd

Other than improving skill with a heat gun (a must in this business) or with knifeless tape, you can apply vinyl over vinyl with air egress (like Arlon Cast Wrap or Oracal 3951 Rapid Air) to gain flexibility. We have used this on Fire Trucks and Emergency Vehicles to get reflective to follow contours.

But I highly suggest practicing using a heat gun on vinyl (to conform and to fix over stretched vinyl), knifeless tape, and using your knife to cut through applied vinyl without cutting the metal and paint underneath. (Tip: practice on a scrap piece of aluminum and peel the vinyl off to see how you did.)

FCD

Learning to use the knife on a vehicle is a huge help when it's needed, I learned how to properly cut vinyl on a balloon... Makes you learn really fast when you pop one by cutting too deep or peaking the blade haha.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, those balloons are mighty expensive.................... When we were young, we'd put shaving cream on them and practice................... I now sport a beard. :clapping: