• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thickness of acrylic displays in high school code?

Andy D

I'm bidding on the sign portion of a High School renovation.
Per their nature, Architects are infamous in including a lot of "cover-my-butt" fluff but light on some of the hard specs...
Part of the bid is 4' x 4' & 4' x 6' acrylic displays in the hallways with stand-offs.
Does anyone happen to know if there are federal codes on these? I sent a Clarification email to the Architect, but don't expect an answer. I'm thinking 1/2" minimum, but maybe thicker?!?!

Thanks

unclebun

I think the thinnest I'd go is 3/8", but 1/2" has a better "look". If you do 1/4", it works, but there is sag, plus if they are in reach, they are too bendable. Thicker than 1/2" and weight becomes a problem.

Andy D

I haven't done a bunch of these, the place I used to work wouldn't us use acrylic for large displays with standoffs,
they saw it as a liability, we had to use polycarbonate... but the Architect specked acrylic.
Knuckleheaded teens around anything that could break and cut, does make me nervous.