• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

racershawn

Hi all... I'm thinking about making the switch to an I Mac from a PC. I use Photoshop and flex I mostly.... any advice or suggestions? Thanks!!!

SignManiac

Why would also be my question?

My business is PC based all the way. I love my iphone and ipad, but sure as hell would not even consider switching my business stuff to Mac. Everything I run works fine on a pc. Everything I have runs fine on it. Aint broke, why fix?

Dentafrice

I've always been drawn to a Mac. I recently made the move with a 27" iMac after playing with Osx86 for years.

Came in today, and I love it so far.

WildWestDesigns

Only thing I really have to add is make sure you are making this for the right reasons for your business. I don't care in what direction the swap goes in, make sure that your business can handle all aspects of the swap and that it's not just something that you want to do because you want to do it.

If you want to make a swap for your own personal computers that's one thing, but when it comes to the business make sure you really go over the C/B ratio specifically for you as to it being a sound decision or not.

Dentafrice

The Apple side feels good :) 27" iMac, iPad, and taken with an iPhone 4.

Attachments

• 388989_10150505303973626_654823625_11168117_2035527385_n.jpg
    388989_10150505303973626_654823625_11168117_2035527385_n.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 93

Dentafrice

Feeling good... that's pretty important, isn't it?
I think so.

You sit down at a clunky old Tandy and start typing up something and you'll see why feeling good vs. feeling bad is of importance.

I'm not a Mac fanboy nor Windows, having programmed for years on both, and quite good at it not to toot my own horn. I use both daily, but the overall user interface on a Mac, of course it will be better... and the more history you know about it, the more you realize why it's so good.

iSign

You know what they say, Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

gag me...

for the record... "they" don't say that... it's childish & untrue...

maybe YOU say it, and I've seen one whackjob signature around here...

I worked exclusively on Macs for 3 years... and now 20 years on exclusively PC's...

all 6 of my PC's "feel" just as good as any of the dozens of other peoples Macs I've used in the last 20 years.... they may not get me laid as much... but they feel the same & work the same! :rock-n-roll:

-sent from my iPhone

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I think so.

You sit down at a clunky old Tandy and start typing up something and you'll see why feeling good vs. feeling bad is of importance.

Well I can certainly see why feeling good about your computer is important particularly when a Mac is compared to a Tandy...

artbot

i had a customer (he ran a multi million dollar catering company. like he has the united nations contract, etc) tell me a simple phrase that has changed my business forever.

"run it like a business"

no matter what kind of sole proprietor your are you have a partner that is always right. the calculator. and that partner does not want to switch to macs.

J

john1

I just went over this with the forum because i was thinking about switching.

When you compare apples to apples (lol) you really can't get the same performance from a Apple as you can a custom built PC from what i seen.

I spent roughly $1500 on my custom PC that CompUSA built for me and it will blow away ANY iMac computer out there. I have a intel i7 3.4ghz processor with 16gb DDR3 Ram, 1gb GTX 560Ti graphics card. My friend has a brand spanking new 24" i think it is, iMac with this and that and it runs smooth but when you go into the Adobe apps it lags where mine will zip on by no problem. Big or typical sized files.

Do a lot of research before making this move because yes Apple is all nice looking and gives you the "ooooh ahhh eeee" feeling but at the end you need to decide what is the BEST move for the money and for your business in general.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

btw, i own a iPhone but that is as far as i am going with using Apple in my business.

racershawn

OK so you ask why..... biggest reason is the monitors resolution and the operating system... right now i work off 2x 27" samsung monitors and 3 other misc monitors... I want to streamline down to 2x 27 for my graphics and sign work..... very hi res Imac 27"comp and a 27" thunder monitor and keep one 27" backup PC. I realy like the way the operating system works with multi screens and how it seems to always work flawlessly ..... most all my PCs are very high end, and I was thinking about going to some SSDs in this one, then there was the apple option.....The sign work is only part of what I do.... I am more interested to know how programs such as photoshop and flexi work with apple... most all the graphics guys that i work with on other projects use apple.... I also build race simulators for allot of the NASCAR teams and all that work is of curse PC... in addition this apple stuff is at home and i will also be adding apple TV for my theater ..... just looking for thoughts ... pros... cons ... forget the cost factor.... that is a factor but not the deciding one
Shawn
PS I also own an Iphone 4s and an Ipad2 ... love them both .... realy love siri!!!

racershawn

a cpl pics of my very messy desk and computer

Attachments

• my office 1.jpg
    my office 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 94
  • my office 2.jpg
    my office 2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 111

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If cost is not a driving factor, why limit yourself to one or the other?
Sounds like you can afford both so - do it.
Each one has something to offer the other does not.

wayne k
guam usa

WildWestDesigns

If cost is not a driving factor, why limit yourself to one or the other?
Sounds like you can afford both so - do it.
Each one has something to offer the other does not.

wayne k
guam usa

It sounds like he is already doing both, since his racecar stuff is based off of PC work.