• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about switching payroll services - from ADP to Square

TopFliteGraphics

Anybody have any experience with Square's new payroll service? I am currently using ADP but looks like I can save a boat load of money (about $1600 a year at current levels/costs) by switching to Square.I am a small shop (just 2 of us right now) and don't have the time for all of the accounting BS that comes with doing payroll yourself, but I really like the idea of putting that money back in my pocket instead of ADP's...

JJGraphics

Negotiate first?

Have you considered asking ADP to drop their prices? A $1600 savings is equivalent to about $61 per pay period. There has to be room in their pricing to drop it down.

solock

have the quote in hand, get a third from paychex or jetpay and adp will negotiate, ADP tries to play on their strengths that you likely dont use like compliance managment, IT integrations etc, Your paying for the infrastructure that you dont or cant use.

Get the quotes and they will flex, they did for me and it put it under the pain threshold of wanting to not change.

Billct2

Ask around, maybe some customers, other businesses, your accountant to see who else is available.
We use a local service started by a former ADP employee, they are reasonably priced and very responsive to special requests.

GVP

I suggest you take a look at Wave payroll. It's an online service, and you do have to do some input - but I've found it to be simple and straightforward. Just two employees would run you less than US$ 300 a year. I can recommend them.

https://www.waveapps.com/payroll/

rossmosh

We use Quickbooks. The savings is huge compared to a proper payroll company. Processing the weekly payroll is pretty painless. Imagine an hour or less every 2 weeks. We process ours in about 5 minutes but others have to verify hours worked and that can be a bit more time consuming. The only real investment of time is doing the quarterly taxes. It takes about an hour or two. Not a big deal. Something most book keepers can handle pretty easily.

AKProbeGT

We use Quickbooks. The savings is huge compared to a proper payroll company. Processing the weekly payroll is pretty painless. Imagine an hour or less every 2 weeks. We process ours in about 5 minutes but others have to verify hours worked and that can be a bit more time consuming. The only real investment of time is doing the quarterly taxes. It takes about an hour or two. Not a big deal. Something most book keepers can handle pretty easily.

Our accountant got everything set up for me in Quickbooks and we've been using them ever since for payroll. Very easy once it is set up.