Welcome To Signs101.com

Signs101 is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third Issue With Our L560

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jayhawksigns, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    First the printheads weren't priming, new printheads fixed the issue.

Second, it started getting over-voltage shutdowns (16.4x:10), tech was just in, moved some heaters around and we are waiting to see if it fails again. Know we really need fixed firmware, but trying to rule out a bad heater.

Third, the printhead carriage is crashing into the maintenance station. Mentioned this to the tech, but it didn't do it while he was here (it is really random), not sure how much he really dug into it. Video is attached, watch the maintenance move at the last minute before the carriage comes back into frame.

Not ever had this many problems with a printer, except maybe our Colorspan, but it was a Colorspan.

Tags:
  2. SARAP

SARAP New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Allen Park, MI

I completely concur. I have had the L560 for over 6 months now and it is a very frustrating machine to work with. If you don't already cuss it will get you started. I have more crashes, ink smudges and not to mention the excessive waste at the beginning of a print job. I contacted HP on the issue of the constant crashing and they recommend feeding about 2 ft of material out each time a roll is loaded. They seem to be aware of the issue of the crashes. They said it is from the heat in the curing area risng up and lifting the material so it sticks to the top of the curing section and backs up into the print area causing crashes. We have resorted to taping a 2 ft strip of material to the edge of the new roll and hanging a clamp at the end to provide some weight to hold it from lifting. Do not expect any support from HP on this.

3. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Solution to the bowing material at the beginning of the print (before it's long enough to put on take-up) I use a straight edge while it's heating up and feeding the media out and back in slowly. Once it's at temp and starts to print forward is the critical moment the media buckles. That's when I lower the straight edge onto the media and pull is slightly toward me. This seems to do it everytime.
    See detailed image.
    As for the Error Code shut down...I'm on day 8 waiting for the final (4th) part to get here so a tech can get me back up and running. I'll keep ya'll posted but thank goodness I've still got my Roland as a back up.

Attached Files:

4. signed_wraps

signed_wraps New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Houston
    Ask for the work around firmware, I am not sure what the name is. They installed it on our machine. It will still throw the heater error code but it'll be 16:4x:00 and will just say "Call Support." You can just hit "Okay" and the machine keeps going. It logs that the error was thrown, and on which unit 16:4(1, 2, 3, 4), the second number being the heater that cause the fault. The workaround firmware records the code but doesn't shut down the machine.

This is what my portal says on the machine:
    Current firmware is up to date

Firmware version: storm-s14-branches-storm-branches-STORM_00_03_00-R148780-170127
    Published: Jan 26, 2017 4:22:02 PM
    Installation date: Apr 17, 2017 1:18:00 PM
    Last check for new firmware date: May 18, 2017 4:51:12 PM

EDIT: I am running a 570, but they are basically the same machine, one just holds more ink.

5. jayhawksigns

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Keep hearing that there "isn't enough data" so they don't know how to fix the heater error. Well, if the firmware version 3 noted the issue but allowed the printing to continue and verison 4 shuts it down completely, then there is your temporary fix until you can actually fix the problem. Just do a version 4.1 that rolls back to the parameters that triggered and responded to the error code.

6. signed_wraps

signed_wraps New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Houston
    Firmware update expected sometime in June. I'm sure that's basically what the installed on our machine. It does indicate a version 3 though.

7. jayhawksigns

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    So, the printer "works" when it doesn't decide to throw a code or move the cleaning kit when it shouldn't, but due to a lack of response as of late the owner sent off an email to our supplier about the continuing issues since HP hasn't been the most forthcoming. I ended up conversing with our sales rep and it seems our suppliers top tech sent an email to a few people at HP on our behalf. Looks like next week might be interesting, just like to get everything sorted out.

HP if you are listening, the service manual would go along way to helping, that way I can give it to the tech the next time he shows up so he can properly take apart our printer.