• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Third Issue With Our L560

jayhawksigns

First the printheads weren't priming, new printheads fixed the issue.

Second, it started getting over-voltage shutdowns (16.4x:10), tech was just in, moved some heaters around and we are waiting to see if it fails again. Know we really need fixed firmware, but trying to rule out a bad heater.

Third, the printhead carriage is crashing into the maintenance station. Mentioned this to the tech, but it didn't do it while he was here (it is really random), not sure how much he really dug into it. Video is attached, watch the maintenance move at the last minute before the carriage comes back into frame.

Not ever had this many problems with a printer, except maybe our Colorspan, but it was a Colorspan.

SARAP

First the printheads weren't priming, new printheads fixed the issue.

Second, it started getting over-voltage shutdowns (16.4x:10), tech was just in, moved some heaters around and we are waiting to see if it fails again. Know we really need fixed firmware, but trying to rule out a bad heater.

Third, the printhead carriage is crashing into the maintenance station. Mentioned this to the tech, but it didn't do it while he was here (it is really random), not sure how much he really dug into it. Video is attached, watch the maintenance move at the last minute before the carriage comes back into frame.

Not ever had this many problems with a printer, except maybe our Colorspan, but it was a Colorspan.

I completely concur. I have had the L560 for over 6 months now and it is a very frustrating machine to work with. If you don't already cuss it will get you started. I have more crashes, ink smudges and not to mention the excessive waste at the beginning of a print job. I contacted HP on the issue of the constant crashing and they recommend feeding about 2 ft of material out each time a roll is loaded. They seem to be aware of the issue of the crashes. They said it is from the heat in the curing area risng up and lifting the material so it sticks to the top of the curing section and backs up into the print area causing crashes. We have resorted to taping a 2 ft strip of material to the edge of the new roll and hanging a clamp at the end to provide some weight to hold it from lifting. Do not expect any support from HP on this.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Solution to the bowing material at the beginning of the print (before it's long enough to put on take-up) I use a straight edge while it's heating up and feeding the media out and back in slowly. Once it's at temp and starts to print forward is the critical moment the media buckles. That's when I lower the straight edge onto the media and pull is slightly toward me. This seems to do it everytime.
See detailed image.
As for the Error Code shut down...I'm on day 8 waiting for the final (4th) part to get here so a tech can get me back up and running. I'll keep ya'll posted but thank goodness I've still got my Roland as a back up.

Attachments

• L560Buckling.jpg
    L560Buckling.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 344

signed_wraps

Solution to the bowing material at the beginning of the print (before it's long enough to put on take-up) I use a straight edge while it's heating up and feeding the media out and back in slowly. Once it's at temp and starts to print forward is the critical moment the media buckles. That's when I lower the straight edge onto the media and pull is slightly toward me. This seems to do it everytime.
See detailed image.
As for the Error Code shut down...I'm on day 8 waiting for the final (4th) part to get here so a tech can get me back up and running. I'll keep ya'll posted but thank goodness I've still got my Roland as a back up.

Ask for the work around firmware, I am not sure what the name is. They installed it on our machine. It will still throw the heater error code but it'll be 16:4x:00 and will just say "Call Support." You can just hit "Okay" and the machine keeps going. It logs that the error was thrown, and on which unit 16:4(1, 2, 3, 4), the second number being the heater that cause the fault. The workaround firmware records the code but doesn't shut down the machine.

This is what my portal says on the machine:
Current firmware is up to date

Firmware version: storm-s14-branches-storm-branches-STORM_00_03_00-R148780-170127
Published: Jan 26, 2017 4:22:02 PM
Installation date: Apr 17, 2017 1:18:00 PM
Last check for new firmware date: May 18, 2017 4:51:12 PM

EDIT: I am running a 570, but they are basically the same machine, one just holds more ink.

jayhawksigns

Keep hearing that there "isn't enough data" so they don't know how to fix the heater error. Well, if the firmware version 3 noted the issue but allowed the printing to continue and verison 4 shuts it down completely, then there is your temporary fix until you can actually fix the problem. Just do a version 4.1 that rolls back to the parameters that triggered and responded to the error code.

signed_wraps

Keep hearing that there "isn't enough data" so they don't know how to fix the heater error. Well, if the firmware version 3 noted the issue but allowed the printing to continue and verison 4 shuts it down completely, then there is your temporary fix until you can actually fix the problem. Just do a version 4.1 that rolls back to the parameters that triggered and responded to the error code.

Firmware update expected sometime in June. I'm sure that's basically what the installed on our machine. It does indicate a version 3 though.

jayhawksigns

So, the printer "works" when it doesn't decide to throw a code or move the cleaning kit when it shouldn't, but due to a lack of response as of late the owner sent off an email to our supplier about the continuing issues since HP hasn't been the most forthcoming. I ended up conversing with our sales rep and it seems our suppliers top tech sent an email to a few people at HP on our behalf. Looks like next week might be interesting, just like to get everything sorted out.

HP if you are listening, the service manual would go along way to helping, that way I can give it to the tech the next time he shows up so he can properly take apart our printer.

jayhawksigns

Interesting day so far.

Had a HP tech scheduled to come in this morning, but before he showed up I spoke with another L560 user on the phone who is having issues with their unit. We are seeing different problems but talked about how well HP is, or isn't, taking care of the problems.

Then the tech showed up, got to work, no problems there so far. Then I received two phone calls, from HP tech support, following up on a callback they had for "noises" in the machine. Both calls were citing the same complaint, which I believe came from when our distributor got involved in trying to get this fixed, and neither one had any idea that there was already a tech onsite trying to look into the issue.

I don't know what HP is doing, and I wonder at times if they do.

Oh, and any L560 owner knows after probably five minutes with the printer, that if you don't want to feed out a bunch of media when you load a roll, that you leave the front door open on the curing unit until the media clears it. Well, apparently our tech didn't get the memo, keep insisting that it has to be closed.

jayhawksigns

So goes the ongoing saga. Think 2CT, eahicks and I all need to start a HP Latex users support group, keep us all from going off the deep end.

So after a week off of work I come back yesterday and guess what happens on the first or second print job, yep, carriage strike with the maintenance kit. So I called in and actually got a tech that knew what I was talking about. Said the field tech should be in tomorrow to do some stuff.

Fast forward to today and he calls, comes in and first changes out the encoder strip. Now if it was crashing during a print job, then I might understand, but when it only happens on the very first pass, its got nothing to do with the encoder strip. Then we get updated to the latest and greatest, yet to be released, specifically coded to our serial number, firmware.

Now, when doing a calibration afterwards it absolutely is NOT curing the print. Now we started with the Arlon 4500GLX that was loaded when he came so we switched over to the HP Satin Poster Paper. Same thing, only worse. With the vinyl it all looked okay, but when it fed the print under the rollers it would transfer. With the paper, once its ready to scan it is beyond readable by the printer. It seems like it might of rubbed something with all of its movement, but when you cut off the paper it is still wet enough to be wiped off.

So, what was the techs great suggestion before he left for the night. Increase the heat, increase the passes, and add an interpass delay. Three things that I didn't have to do before I left the office for a week and the machine set idle.

So as it sits, (in our opinion) we are either going to get a new L560 or are going to regrettably be switching back to solvent. This thing has had issues from basically day one, at what point does a lemon law kick in and get us a new printer?? Anyone want to wholesale some work for us??

Christian @ 2CT Media

I just went through 4.5 weeks of being down on my 360 till they replaced it. Get with your sales rep who sold you the machine and push them to request a RMA replacement.

I'm sorry you are going through this on your 560. Our problem is not affecting our current job so much but it looks like the tech will be out again tomorrow to try 2 new things. I guess HP has never seen our issue before. The tech did some measurements and feeding the material 5 feet led to a 1/8" walk to the left that continued to grow.

jayhawksigns

I just went through 4.5 weeks of being down on my 360 till they replaced it. Get with your sales rep who sold you the machine and push them to request a RMA replacement.

I'm sorry you are going through this on your 560. Our problem is not affecting our current job so much but it looks like the tech will be out again tomorrow to try 2 new things. I guess HP has never seen our issue before. The tech did some measurements and feeding the material 5 feet led to a 1/8" walk to the left that continued to grow.
The thing is on the long runs I have done, it's tracking is something I was overly impressed with, as you have probably seen on your other printers.

Should say that the field tech was on the phone with a level 3, thought it was great when he mentioned to him that what he wanted was a printer that would just work. Also reminded them that this was our only printer.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Next time you guys buy equipment let me know, I would be doing all your printing for you while you were down at no charge. That happened with a client of ours and we handled all his printing for 2 1/2 weeks until we had his machine dialed in how they wanted it.

I would DEMAND from your dealer that they DO your prints until they can fix your equipment, more of us that service like this the more will follow!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Anyone else have problems with the curing door staying closed? Ours constantly falls back open....haven't had a chance to dig in and see what's keeping it from staying closed, so seeing if others have this issue. Just another frustration with this machine.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Anyone else have problems with the curing door staying closed? Ours constantly falls back open....haven't had a chance to dig in and see what's keeping it from staying closed, so seeing if others have this issue. Just another frustration with this machine.
Our first machine was bowed in the middle, which lead to the magnets not engaging all the way. We bent it "flat" and now the magnets hold tight for us.

eahicks

Our first machine was bowed in the middle, which lead to the magnets not engaging all the way. We bent it "flat" and now the magnets hold tight for us.
The machine was bowed? Or you mean just the door? I'll look in to that.

eahicks

Just the door
I looked at mine...it is warped. But hard to tell if any bending is putting it back in shape.
Seems to me these magnets are very weak. I may try to replace those with a couple stronger ones.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I looked at mine...it is warped. But hard to tell if any bending is putting it back in shape.
Seems to me these magnets are very weak. I may try to replace those with a couple stronger ones.
Those doors are just pop metal and not very rigid at all. The magnets are definitely light duty too.

jayhawksigns

So now, with the new version 5 firmware, apparently every profile is no longer good and will have to be "tweaked".

Does anyone know how the printer decides how to print the color calibrations? If you have selected a profile with several different options, say 6-8-10 pass, what does it print with? Or are the passes, heat, etc. it uses for the color calibration completely separate from the profiles? Just ask because on vinyl or paper, its not curing the sample before it scans it anymore. I'll try and grab a pic of the last sample, but its not good. This was on HP White Satin Poster Paper with the appropriate profile selected. Was doing this on firmware version 2 as well.

rsGuwffFkgLte2yFzV6k03-_LrJvMaOUTo27yLic7yVyKpbPNCIiNboHcZTb4jo75a1qLsiNiMBmNYwFL1ILbD91CQhHvYV69RytOUCv6N7HW7UADT71-wsPM7PqDCsZQ1wbhxHKvi5-6OSj3Xcd4SpeazxkqU1ExME3EoOARD0ZDStoExPNG9J-R3fzUmrlgRMHQIdH7Fiho3BCXPX7jrDturFywoWt3qsVOhSrkLMo4PTjuNJsotpXNDqH1n8hMD0MniTQ4xmW3QOgi4MTk6C1LCVlCszD-JrWh85px2d6yCiDvASco00aEjaSnNmshn6TnjJ5OWLYqR2Qz-xjaMh5ek-N15N9Je2t3tahr-vGobiLwR2JibLGY-Gh1Vfl7t7DndtJA8bbwGfxKm3zrIPyOjlOI2J-jdmmbg0RGu17fs7t57IbsULtjhgXprZqHnKt15t0s9ZxDB5Ed5pwVBWmLZH_NKcSxMN75yG7CKD5Jbl5MTsLithFjeCuwoAHQDPtaARyjbRuqmTFHynVbRoCzhiXxHxDuGvDfMfwnNX4jer49Z7SP7_F3Y3loiiyFf0TFa_4-HnbxhnAhC2GW02mhT8gYZA0q4zuh8nRTM-MuzStuaQdkA=w1047-h785-no

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

So now, with the new version 5 firmware, apparently every profile is no longer good and will have to be "tweaked".

Does anyone know how the printer decides how to print the color calibrations? If you have selected a profile with several different options, say 6-8-10 pass, what does it print with? Or are the passes, heat, etc. it uses for the color calibration completely separate from the profiles? Just ask because on vinyl or paper, its not curing the sample before it scans it anymore. I'll try and grab a pic of the last sample, but its not good. This was on HP White Satin Poster Paper with the appropriate profile selected. Was doing this on firmware version 2 as well.

rsGuwffFkgLte2yFzV6k03-_LrJvMaOUTo27yLic7yVyKpbPNCIiNboHcZTb4jo75a1qLsiNiMBmNYwFL1ILbD91CQhHvYV69RytOUCv6N7HW7UADT71-wsPM7PqDCsZQ1wbhxHKvi5-6OSj3Xcd4SpeazxkqU1ExME3EoOARD0ZDStoExPNG9J-R3fzUmrlgRMHQIdH7Fiho3BCXPX7jrDturFywoWt3qsVOhSrkLMo4PTjuNJsotpXNDqH1n8hMD0MniTQ4xmW3QOgi4MTk6C1LCVlCszD-JrWh85px2d6yCiDvASco00aEjaSnNmshn6TnjJ5OWLYqR2Qz-xjaMh5ek-N15N9Je2t3tahr-vGobiLwR2JibLGY-Gh1Vfl7t7DndtJA8bbwGfxKm3zrIPyOjlOI2J-jdmmbg0RGu17fs7t57IbsULtjhgXprZqHnKt15t0s9ZxDB5Ed5pwVBWmLZH_NKcSxMN75yG7CKD5Jbl5MTsLithFjeCuwoAHQDPtaARyjbRuqmTFHynVbRoCzhiXxHxDuGvDfMfwnNX4jer49Z7SP7_F3Y3loiiyFf0TFa_4-HnbxhnAhC2GW02mhT8gYZA0q4zuh8nRTM-MuzStuaQdkA=w1047-h785-no
When profiling you have to do each setting for the correct method but typically we profile the most common one and copy for different pass settings as needed. I was always told to profile these with the door open, is that not correct?