• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This has to be one of our members.

WildWestDesigns

Wow, just wow on so many levels.

Wow what a world we live in. My mom told me my entire life that when I turned 18 I had to leave. Best thing she ever did for me.

Ironically, the notion of leaving the nest is fairly recent (relatively speaking). Go back to my grandparents day and age, it wasn't strange that kids stayed at the homeplace, now that was also when we were more agrarian as well (and they were for sure helping keep things up). I think people tend to forget just really how recent the notion of must be out of the parents place at a certain age is (mainstream anyway).

But there just really is no excuse for this particular person's case at all.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I think too it depends on the area you live in. For example I know in the North East it's not uncommon for multiple generations to continue to live together because the cost of living is so high. A coworker of mine had a brother that lived in Philly and even with spliting the rent 4 ways between roommates he still paid 1200 a month for his part of a small apartment. Compare that to an average of 1500 a month for a large 2 story house on a third acre lot here in Texas.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Living with your family is still pretty common in the rest of the world as well.
But living with your parents and not doing jack-sh*t isn't. If he had a job, paid them for rent or at the very least helped with food and utilities, I see no problem. He's a lazy punk and they enabled him 12-15 years too long.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
He "has never been expected to contribute to household expenses, or assisted with chores and the maintenance of the premises, and claims that this is simply a component of his living agreement,"

I wonder if his parents are second-guessing not giving him a couple chores growing up.

My kids have 2 "chores" each, but I or my wife do them with them.

If their life doesn't involve daily well-being activities, how will they be prepared to leave at 18 and know how NOT to come back?

DerbyCitySignGuy

But living with your parents and not doing jack-sh*t isn't. If he had a job, paid them for rent or at the very least helped with food and utilities, I see no problem. He's a lazy punk and they enabled him 12-15 years too long.

I bet it's more common than you think. Haha!

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
He "has never been expected to contribute to household expenses, or assisted with chores and the maintenance of the premises, and claims that this is simply a component of his living agreement,"

I wonder if his parents are second-guessing not giving him a couple chores growing up.

My kids have 2 "chores" each, but I or my wife do them with them.

If their life doesn't involve daily well-being activities, how will they be prepared to leave at 18 and know how NOT to come back?

I agree but I see it being more and more common for parents to not expect their kids to have any responsibilities around the house. My kids complain all the time about how none of their friends have chores and I remind them that they don't live with their friends.

jtinker

Owner
Couldn't wait to get out of the house and start living my life. Why oh why would you want to be cooped up with your parents

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I wanted out to ease the burden on my mother. She had enough to deal with. Joined the military and let them pay for my education and got to see the world on their dime too.
My son recently moved down from NC and I reluctantly agreed to put him up until he gets on his feet again. Uh... that was 2 mos ago. Now my youngest son turned 18 a few days ago and will graduate HS tomorrow. Those two are nothing but lazy ungrateful slobs! Gonna have to practice a little tough love.
I don't expect them to pay rent but help out a bit would be the right thing to do.
Wth is wrong the the youth today!
I work 2 jobs that make up about 70hrs a week yet I spend every waking moment doing something productive. Sometimes I get off 1 job at 4:00am and go to work the other 3 hrs later to find my co-workers come in late. I still manage to do dishes, make the bed, laundry, mow, wash cars, sweep, mop.
BUNCH OF LAZY ASSES!