Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is becoming a problem here.................................

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by Gino, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Over the last year or so, I've noticed many Merchant Members no longer participating, but those who are left, I like to patronize or refer people to when needed.

The problem I am discussing, seems to be many people are coming here, asking for printed projects, help with this or that or just plain labor/installation help. People hawking their wares is another one, too. Me personally, I don't have a problem with people helping people/companies, but only if they are registered properly. So many people are just advertising and soliciting work here, right in front of our eyes, let alone the ones who go behind the scenes and do this through PMs and such.

Some time ago, a fellow member here was in bad shape health-wise and money-wise and was trying to sell his business or at least his equipment to make money to help is sick wife. He was severely chastised for doing so and his thread was removed because of his status. For something of this nature, I could/can totally see bending the rules, as he didn't have the money to even register to advertise properly. He has long gone, but I never forgot his predicament. Since then, I have reported numerous people for doing the same thing with about a 5% return. Why, with 5 people monitoring this place can this go on almost every day without those posts or ads being removed ?? What's with the double standards ??

:noway: Thank you for taking the time to read this. Perhaps, this should be made into a poll thread and we see how many people think this place should follow it's own rules or just play willy-nilly.

Gino

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    I do agree that it happens all the time, and isn't fair for the Merchant Members that play by the rules.

I can't say that it bothers me enough that I think something needs to change, it doesn't by any means ruin my experience on Signs 101. That being said, I'm not a paying MM so maybe my view would be different if free-loaders were trying to cut my grass.

One thing that I have noticed, is that sometimes IF there isn't a MM that offers to bid/help on a project, there are eventually several non-MM's that step up and offer their services. Is this acceptable? I can see how it still doesn't follow the rules, but if there isn't a MM offering their services for that specific request, what's the harm?

Just thinking out loud and offering another perspective.

3. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    That can be helpful and might diminish the value of the forum with too hard nosed of a rule. Usually this is more 1 off stuff with no MM interest. There are blatant rule breakers though, mainly selling equipment. Some of them even try to be slick about it. You can about guarantee if they do it in the open that they are sending PMs to anyone they sniff out that's looking for a machine. There's 1 in particular that does it here that also spams all over craigslist. Im pretty sure hes had a post or 2 removed, his username is his company, signs his posts with his company name and it just slides by.

4. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Was a MM shortly in the past. Was a waste of $$ because of exactly the problem stated above. 0 return on investment. When I first joined this was a place for lively discussion on craft. Now it's just a printer page with a few of us old farts around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    if it makes you feel any better, the "old farts" discussing craft is what keeps me coming back, though i don't think i yet qualify as an old ****, haha

• Like Like x 2
  6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    The problem with getting old is you can't trust a ****.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I totally agree(with fleming too). I would make a point of using MM here, and have developed some good relationships. Some are still MM, some are not. When someone asks for a recommendation, if it's a product that has a MM I defer...but I will also make a personal recommendation by PM if it's not MM who was one. And dfleming is right, it's more of a printer/materials/troubleshooting site now. But that's the way the industry has gone.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Whatever ya wanna call it, it fine by me. It's the frickin' double standards that burn my a$$..... or is is 4' flames ??

That guy who needed help a while back.... and was pushed around with someone calling the shots citing the rules, policies and regulations of this place, but now that it's running rampant, the person doesn't do a thing.

I too, was a Merchant Member for a number of years, but it wasn't to make money, although we did, but because all of the people PMing me to do their work. I felt it only the right thing to do, if I was doing the work generated here from s101, so we helped sponsor this place. In fact, we still do work for a number of those same people. Just did an order 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, it's all about the mixed signals. Some can and some cannot. Why ??

9. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I agree, more of you guys should be buying my window perf!!! :D Oh, and on a side note, we are going to be stocking the holographic perf in Canada!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey

I'm not on the site all day and only get on the site usual late at night when reported I always delete the posts. I appreciate the community policing as I'm not on the site every second of the day so things that get reported and not acted on it not a double standard.

11. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i just noticed that if you mention old farts, it doesn't censor it, but the singular version of farts becomes ****

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
  12. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Now that Canada has legalized pot that holographic stuff will be a big hit. You will see cars going around the block a couple times on a sunny day, "eh".

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Do they have gummy bears up there, too??

14. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Same problem with Chrones.........

15. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Oh yeah.............. Not "technically" legal yet but you can order them online from BC, one of the more weed friendly provinces.

(Answering for a friend)

16. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Wait.....do all our posts have to be approved by Mods now?