• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Those with Rolands with take up issues...our solution *video inside*

CarNate69

After years of fighting with Rolands take up reel system on our XR640, we finally invented a solution that works. We've had everyone from Roland try to figure it out. We've adjusted the silver dancer bar a million times, we've tightened, re-tightened, adjusted, etc. - the take up simply doesn't work the way it's designed, and we figured out why.

We programmed the distance sensor on the floor (which is put higher for more accuracy on the plastic roll ends) to detect the vinyl, which then turns the servo, which pushes the manual feed button on the take up reel once. The silver tension bar works to keep weight on the roll and on what's being taken up, while keeping the material from getting sideways and getting the "floppy left side and tight right side" Roland tension issue, which means it keeps the material straight and away from the print heads above. This is on a completely unadjusted Roland take up reel. If this system was taken away, we would only make it around 15 feet before head crashing. We worked months on this to try to find a solution and this one works perfectly on 2 Rolands so far.

[video=youtube;NwuNuQuKosE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwuNuQuKosE[/video]

grafixemporium

[video=youtube;NwuNuQuKosE]
[/video][/QUOTE]

Looks like the video is down. I'm VERY interested in your solution! The floppy left side syndrome is exhausting!!

Roto

After years of fighting with Rolands take up reel system on our XR640, we finally invented a solution that works. We've had everyone from Roland try to figure it out. We've adjusted the silver dancer bar a million times, we've tightened, re-tightened, adjusted, etc. - the take up simply doesn't work the way it's designed, and we figured out why.

We programmed the distance sensor on the floor (which is put higher for more accuracy on the plastic roll ends) to detect the vinyl, which then turns the servo, which pushes the manual feed button on the take up reel once. The silver tension bar works to keep weight on the roll and on what's being taken up, while keeping the material from getting sideways and getting the "floppy left side and tight right side" Roland tension issue, which means it keeps the material straight and away from the print heads above. This is on a completely unadjusted Roland take up reel. If this system was taken away, we would only make it around 15 feet before head crashing. We worked months on this to try to find a solution and this one works perfectly on 2 Rolands so far.

[video=youtube;NwuNuQuKosE]
[/video]

You must have a bum machine ours works perfectly our old VS640 going on 6 years still has no problems with takeup.

ProPDF

For what it's worth and this may not be the solution to your problem. Our stock XC540 plastic core inserts were pushing the cardboard tubes out too far on the "tight right side" ends. If you were trying to take-up the media with the edge very close to the right side take-up tube it gets loose on the left cause it's pulling tighter on the right at the bottom. The external circumference was basically being pushed too far out on the right side of the take-up tube. I picked up several sets of pro II soljet media take-up cores on eBay and that seemed to fix the problem as those slip in and out without expanding the take-up tube ends. You could probably grind down the originals. On our pro III's I figured this out when I went to put media in the center of the printer on a XJ and it tracked straight because the edge of the media was not close to either ends of the take-up tube. When I went to the edge or "right side of printer" the XJ was doing what the XC's were doing.

C

ColoPrinthead

damn, ink scams, bunk take ups, and payoffs to silence the critics; I think Roland is learning from HP.

ProPDF

RJPW I am going to check into those plastic cores.

For everyone else....before you chase the take-up ghost down an engineering rabbit hole I would check out sign-in-china take-up systems. We had bought some before and had pretty good results with Mutoh's. The newer ones they have look like the Mimaki style which some have said good things about.

https://www.sign-in-china.com/produ...el_for_mutoh_mimaki_roland_epson_printer.html

For you 30" guys out there....these can be cut down.

Last edited: