• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts

jhd

I quoted a job out 3 weeks ago and did not win the bid, not a big deal it happens. It was for a Semi-Circle Recessed area on a building. This recessed area has a stucco finish. I quoted a dibond sign to fit into the area, which I thought was the correct route to go. I drove by and the company that won the bid actually installed a decal (one color black) directly to the stucco and now it is starting to fail.

My question is should I approach the company again and explain why I quoted a sign versus decal or let it be, because obviously they are looking for the cheapest way out?

kanini

Have you already spoken to the customer about the job after you quoted it, e.g. did they tell you that you didn't won the bid or did you just find out because they had the decal installed when you now saw it? In that case you could call them and ask how it's going with the quote and if they have any questions about the quote. Just to "follow up" the quote. You will probably hear their story then and could lead in to offer your solution.

If you already got the information about the lost bid, then I'd probably leave it, because they are probably already quite upset about the other company, and they will probably approach you again if the other company doesn't resolve the issue... If you call them right now they could be quite upset about the whole thing and not in the mood to do any business.
Also, be sure to keep in contact with the company in the future, because now you have an advantage as in the customer knowing you know your stuff and the competitor being totally off...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've had that happen many times, when the customer went with the cheapest bid and cut corners.

Personally, I would maybe show up and simply ask.... Is there anything I can do for you ?? If they are willing to open up a dialog, I'd would just reiterate why you bid how you did.... to avoid this very situation. I know my business and knew you couldn't go this route and now you too...... understand.

More than likely, they'll either feel embarrassed or they are so cheap, after wasting money, they're still gonna look for a cheap way out. You don't want that to be you.

Craig Sjoquist

Agree with Gino .. Customer will either want it done right & spend the cash Or are just plain cheap & find another cheap way to resolve like a way smaller sign next to door.

If they want it correct then up sell now is your chance if ya can.

If cheap well just make it right at least you gain a customer for future.

visual800

Hell no I wouldnt contact them. You offered them a product that was superior and would work. They went with dirty and cheap...not your problem. If they had any substance about them they would have chosen the right signage to begin with

jhd

After reading your posts. I did decide to follow-up as a courtesy call to see if there was anything I could do and to explain my quote.

She explained she had a friend in the business that they forgot about and they decided to trade services and that the "friend" was going mount the decal on a different surface and then attach it to the stucco - her exact words.

Just wanted to say thanks for your time and thoughts its truly appreciated. I cant wait to see what route the "friend" will choose to go on the second time around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya did all ya can do for now.​

I'd drop it out of your head and go on with bigger and better things..... like it's Friday and only a few hours away from 'Happy Hour'......... :toasting:

Edna

Whould painting it on be an apropreeate alternative?? that is the method I would attempt to do in this perticular instance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, Edna........... if you added a bunch of these things in )))))))))))))))))), I'd swear you were Old Paints long lost sister :rolleyes:
or maybe soul mate ))))))))))))))