• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Time travel - gerber 4B question

RakerTooth

I'm mostly a hand lettering guy, but I have a few friction feed plotters. I have a job that needs 2 inch wide red stripes on a horse trailer, and I'm not sure about tracking on long pieces of vinyl. So I dug the old 4B out of storage. It's been so long since I used it that the keys stick in the down position, but they're loosening up.
Here's the problem: the little plastic chain thing in the cutter head is disintegrated beyond use. Last time I replaced one it was $40, and that was years ago. So I thought that maybe I could buy one of those swivel cut replacement holders, and skip the chain thingy (?). Found one online, but yikes! $225 bucks. I didn't find the plastic chain, but probably could. Does anyone know a supplier, or have an idea how I should go about this job? In the past, I've even used a sharp Stabillo pencil to make marks, then held a long straight edge as a guide for an X-acto knife. Not looking forward to doing that on 55 feet of lines.
I probably could order tape online, but it would be neat to have the old machine working. thanks.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
It wouldn't work for this specific application, but this is where 3D printers are going to help in the future with old parts that aren't manufactured any more. Glad to hear that you got the info you needed.