• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tinting Size

Steve G.

I'm gilding a V carved HDU Sign that is painted Dark green.
I've never tinted size and have had good results, but have heard about tinting here and there.

When is tinting Recommended, What color, and what ratio paint to tint.

I'm guessing yellow ?? I have yellow one shot and also automotive Acrylic enamel.

Sign is painted with Automotive Urethane, and I'm using Rolco Slow Size and Manetti 23k leaf.

Thanks for any Help!

Jillbeans

When I do tint, which is really rare, I use just a few drops of imitation gold or chrome yellow added to the size. Use lettering enamel.
Love....Jill

Billct2

I usually do tint for surface gilding, just how I was taught. Depending on the background color a couple drops of yellow or red 1shot.

round man

+1 for what Jill said,...traditionally tinting size is done to make size visable for surface gilding on flat shiney surfaces such as vehicles, so you can keep the layer of size thin,without overlaps and or holidays in the size..(overlapping brushstrokes will show up bad when you burnish the leaf and holidays or imperfections in the leaf will appear as dark spots) The intent here is to cover the area desired with a layer of gold,thus you need to see the size to assure a good even, thin, consistant ,coat of size...If you need to tint the size to hide your mistakes you are doing something wrong,...I wouldn't tint size for glass gilding,...that would serve no good purpose,..if you want to see your size while glass gilding(water size technique to get a matte gild) you should pounce the whole area with kaolin first in order to make the oil size visable,...

edited to add,.. usually one only adds enough lettering enamel to make the brush strokes visable,.. about 1 drop per once or more of size then stir well