• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for installing a 6' x 14" strip of vinyl + Cut vinyl over it?

F80M3

Custom Title
Installing this weekend on Glass. This might not sound like a big deal to the vets here but I usually deal with smaller decals/smaller window signage. :)

I've done smaller 2-3' signs before but nothing as big as 6' and not solid vinyl.

The customer asked for this last min and I didnt have time to outsource my printing, the design was simple enough so I did it in 751 Cut Vinyl, but then he tells me he wants a solid strip of black vinyl layed down 1st so the cut vinyl pops off the background as much as possible.

I'm thinking I was going to hinge the 6'x14" strip 1st and lay it down wet w/o application tape because its a solid pc of vinyl. Wet because its a solid piece of vinyl as well.

Then hinging the 2nd layer of cut vinyl down using wet method, and then spraying the application tape with water to help release it from the vinyl.

Is my thought process correct here?

Thanks!

Billct2

I would use transfer tape, center hinge, dry.
I would make grease pencil marks to follow to keep it on level.
One of my guys likes to put own a line of paint tape to use as a straight line to follow,
that works too.
It's nice to have an extra set of hands when doing these. One to hold one to squeege.

TXFB.INS

I would use transfer tape, center hinge, dry.
I would make grease pencil marks to follow to keep it on level.
One of my guys likes to put own a line of paint tape to use as a straight line to follow,
that works too.
It's nice to have an extra set of hands when doing these. One to hold one to squeege.

yup this,
unless you are expert level you want the transfer tape and the bottom layer needs to be applied dry especially if you are coming right back for another layer.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I would definitely go dry, not sure about the application tape though. With something that large, you can simply use the vinyl itself. Use a grease pencil to lay down a line, and hinge it. Definitely a two person job. pull back from corner to hinge, peel off backing, have person pull it to end about an inch off of glass and start squeegeeing (is that a word) it down from center with felt covered squeegee. Then the other side. Finally lay the other graphics on top of that. That's how I would do it. If for some instance you get stretched out at the ends, just use a straight edge to trim with razor the end to make it look good.

J Hill Designs

I would definitely go dry, not sure about the application tape though. With something that large, you can simply use the vinyl itself. Use a grease pencil to lay down a line, and hinge it. Definitely a two person job. pull back from corner to hinge, peel off backing, have person pull it to end about an inch off of glass and start squeegeeing (is that a word) it down from center with felt covered squeegee. Then the other side. Finally lay the other graphics on top of that. That's how I would do it. If for some instance you get stretched out at the ends, just use a straight edge to trim with razor the end to make it look good.

if its plain ol' 751 it should be taped or it will stretch too much. it if was lammed that would be a different story, but straight cut vinyl IMO should always be TTed

Stormyj

Just another guy
if its plain ol' 751 it should be taped or it will stretch too much. it if was lammed that would be a different story, but straight cut vinyl IMO should always be TTed

I guess on a hot summer day with warm glass in the sun I would agree. But, If careful when applying, you can get it done without the application tape and save time, labor, and some cost. I know its not a lot, but jobs add up. This is only my opinion and same as a butthole. Everyone has one. I probably wouldn't have used a cast on a window so the 2 mil wouldn't have really been an issue.:cool:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
On glass I would definitely wet apply the first layer. Dry on the next layer is fine. I tack down another oversized substrate the same thickness against your sign. Hinge along the edge of the 6ft length.

attachment.php

Attachments

• application.jpg
    application.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 146

F80M3

Custom Title
Thanks for the input all!

I got it installed this morning.

Came out great and the client is happy!
A second set of hands helped greatly.