• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for laminating and installing window perf?

Jason Thomas

I'm giving a second shot to installing a cargo van rear window with laminated perf... the first attempt resulted in small wrinkles/tunneling in the laminate but not the perf.
The laminate/no laminate always seems to be up for debate. At my previous companies, we always installed perf with no laminate. I wanted to do this one different though because I have seen the issue with rain settling on rear windows.

Here is what currently I'm using:
-Kapco 60/40 perf, printed using Roland VersaCamm VS-540i
-cold laminate with Avery DOL6560 optically clear polyester

I'm thinking possibly the print didn't have adequate time to outgas and that's why there were issues with the lam wrinkling over the perf. However, I am a bit rusty since I've installed so there's a slight chance of operator error. Any tips on the lamination process or install would be much appreciated.

Dan360

Is this the clear focus perf? We laminate the majority of our perfs and had a similar problem with clear focus products. We now use Contra Vision for vehicles with 1360 laminate and haven't had any problems.

See if you can pull the laminate off the perf easily by hand, could be incompatible products but we ran into it from the same line, recommended combo. We also use heat assist when laminating with cast films.

Jason Thomas

Is this the clear focus perf? We laminate the majority of our perfs and had a similar problem with clear focus products. We now use Contra Vision for vehicles with 1360 laminate and haven't had any problems.

See if you can pull the laminate off the perf easily by hand, could be incompatible products but we ran into it from the same line, recommended combo. We also use heat assist when laminating with cast films.
Good idea on the heat assist. I can def try that. The perf is Kapco brand so it ships unbranded/un-named.

Dan360

Minimal pressure on the laminator as well and make sure your laminate is nice and tight when going through. I'm used to doing it but seems like everyone that occasionally laminates perf in our shop messes it up their first couple tries.

2B

laminating perf is all about the setup.

make sure the pressure is correct - less is better
make sure the lamination is webbed / feeding like glass

unclebun

Don't use polyester laminate. It does not stretch. It's designed only for flat window applications (like stores).

Christian @ 2CT Media

6560, can not be bent or it will lift and tunnel. 6560 is a polyester and is designed mainly for full coverage vinyl and not perf.

Switch to 1360Z and you will be fine.