• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips on removing signs from glass- Heavy-Duty double-sided tape?

Speedsterbeast

Looking for help on removing signs on glass.
They are in a hospital indoor.
They are mounted using heavy-duty double-sided tape.
I'm afraid of breaking the glass if I pry too much.
Also tried a hacksaw blade, but I just scratched up the glass.

Any ideas?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What kind of sign is it?

I only came across this once. I sprayed brake cleaner between the sign and the glass, then used fishing line to slowly remove a glass plaque from a glass wall. My hands were beat red after it was all said and done.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If they are really stuck use some fishing line tied to a dowel on each end. Same way you would remove the badges off a vehicle without damage.
Once you get the sign out of the way you should be able to razor the leftover tape off - keep it wet.

Speedsterbeast

If they are really stuck use some fishing line tied to a dowel on each end. Same way you would remove the badges off a vehicle without damage.
Once you get the sign out of the way you should be able to razor the leftover tape off - keep it wet.
I

Johnny Best

I use thin stainless steel leader wire wrapped on two dowels. Seems to hold up better than fishing mono or braided. Just get it behind sign and in a back and forth sawing motion work your way down the sign. It will come right off and cut through the double sided tape or glue.

KMC

Graphic Artist
i use this works wonders and doesn't scratch
Emblem Removal Tool | Image1Impact
Emblem-removal-1_0.png

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have to do this pretty much weekly. I typically use a really thin putty knife to push/cut through the tape. If that doesn't work, I use Kevlar string. Very difficult to break and won't damage glass. click

Last edited:

ArlingtonSigns

Looking for help on removing signs on glass.
They are in a hospital indoor.
They are mounted using heavy-duty double-sided tape.
I'm afraid of breaking the glass if I pry too much.
Also tried a hacksaw blade, but I just scratched up the glass.

Any ideas?
I agree with the others using piano wire, fishing mono or braid, but inside a hospital I would not use paint thinner or other harsh smelling chemicals as the staff may get mad over the smell. Maybe as a last resort would I try a harsh smelling chemical. Try keeping it wet with isopropyl or denatured alcohol in a pump spray bottle while sawing it.

JimmyG

braided fishing line 2 sticks. have them sign a waver.
same deal here but never do a waiver and have never broken a window. I know, there's a first time for everything...
Afterwards use plastic razor blade and Rapid Remover...

JimmyG

I have to do this pretty much weekly. I typically use a really thin putty knife to push/cut through the tape. If that doesn't work, I use Kevlar string. Very difficult to break and won't damage glass. click
I've been wondering what to do with all that kevlar string that I pull from cut line tape....:)~