Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To brace or to not brace

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have my alma mater changing their cat head logo. They have several scoreboards with the head on them, currently made from folded 063 and braced with folded 063 gussets. The top of the head alone has 45 rivets in it. I'm quoting to cover the old head with a new one made of .125 aluminum. I'm thinking I can just remove the top portion of the old head, strip some vinyl, then screw my new head two the scoreboard, leaving the top ~1/2 unsupported. Otherwise I'll have to take a saw to the top of the head to round off areas where it will protrude past the new head, and I'd be worried it would look haggard as hell. Thoughts?
    upload_2019-7-18_9-6-47.png

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Supported. I'm a belt and suspenders type when it comes to this stuff. Overdoing it right away is better than a callback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Why not just knock all the high points off of the old one and fasten directly to it ?? Those little wispy pieces are needed are they ??

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm right there with ya. But I was figuring a 2x5 flag mounted panel made from 1/8" aluminum wouldn't bat an eye at the wind.
    Nope, but my concern is since these are visible from the back side, I wanted to make sure it had a clean appearance. My guys are more used to using the sawzall as an instrument of destruction, rather than making something presentable.
    I'll figure on removing the old one and putting a single, more substantial brace behind it.