• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To distress / artificially age or not ???

SignosaurusRex

I can't decide whether or not to distress/age this before hanging. It's a piece just for fun to hang on the fence behind my garden.
It is hand lettered 1-Shot on stained & satin cleared pine. Should I distress it or just let time an elements do the job? I need to decide before I frame it.
Your opinions wanted.

Attachments

• T&P.jpg
    T&P.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 155

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't give a ding/dang what you do with it..... I'm just glad you showed us this beautiful paint job.

Folks, now that's some go-o-o-od paintin' ........ in my Andy Taylor's voice. :thumb:

round man

Let the elements do their thing and leave it be,...that way you can never have to call it a reproduction or antiqued sign it will always be exactly what it is,....sign art

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
They look really nice just the way they are now.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'd say leave it as is and let it weather naturally.
A future "American Picker" will find it and love the hand lettering.

With the new improved crappy 1-Shot it could look like a 20 year old sign in 5 years... :rolleyes:

SignosaurusRex

I'd say leave it as is and let it weather naturally.
A future "American Picker" will find it and love the hand lettering.

With the new improved crappy 1-Shot it could look like a 20 year old sign in 5 years... :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO: Most all of the 1-Shot I used still had the lead in it. Might take a very long time to age visibly. :banghead:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Kind of my thought too.
I'm contemplating distressing it with some Scotchbrite and maybe some fine sand paper here and there, then adding a light cracked clear satin finish. :rolleyes:

Try scrubbing, hard, it with kitchen cleanser, like Ajax or any other powdered cleanser. Just pretend you're cleaning a sink. It's mildly abrasive and contains bleach. It tends to do a more uniform and far better looking job than sandpaper, abrasive pads, etc.

Baz

I think as sign guys (edit: forgot the gals!) we can appreciate more the "coolness" of making it look old on purpose. But people in general would really love looking at it brand new and shiny.

Awesome either way you go Brian :thumb::thumb:

SignosaurusRex

Try scrubbing, hard, it with kitchen cleanser, like Ajax or any other powdered cleanser. Just pretend you're cleaning a sink. It's mildly abrasive and contains bleach. It tends to do a more uniform and far better looking job than sandpaper, abrasive pads, etc.

Thanks Bob, Strange that I never really gave much thought to the kitchen sink cleanser approach. I'll keep that one in my hat full of tricks. :thumb:

John Butto

Think those signs you painted look beautiful. If you were a robot maker and made a fully functional young and gorgeous android women, would you make her look old and distressed. Leave them looking beautiful, they will grow old.

SignosaurusRex

Think those signs you painted look beautiful. If you were a robot maker and made a fully functional young and gorgeous android women, would you make her look old and distressed. Leave them looking beautiful, they will grow old.

Interesting ... and humorous perspective John.:ROFLMAO: I like it, but I also like to experiment. :covereyes: