• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To make a long story longer . . .

Replicator

As many of you may have read I had a computer failure and had to purchase a NEW computer.

Well at this point I have had to reformat the new computer 2 times already this week.

I go through all the hassle of installing a bunch of programs and restoring all my files and then it happens . . .

The computer will not shutdown, my programs do not work properly and lots of other annoying conflicts start to happen.

I get no error messages to indicate a conflict or corrupt file, drivers or software.

I am at my wits end . . . I have just reinstalled Windows XP Professional on the computer and at this point have installed nothing else . . .

I'm scared to put any program on the computer. The last time I reinstalled everything I created system restore points

between every program install to see if that would help identify any programs that were not installing correctly,

but that didn't help . . . NOW WHAT ? ? ? It's getting out of control !

:banghead: :frustrated: :banghead: :frustrated: :banghead:

ericl16215

First thing I would do is test the memory using Memtest86 at http://www.memtest.org/
Also, have you looked in event viewer to see if it is logging any errors? [control panel, administrative tools, event viewer]
Eric

Last edited:

Techman

Well microsoft for sure isn't the answer, thats for sure.

ya, keep bashing one of the most successful OS's in history.. Geeses.. Just for the record. A large percentage of OS's problems are actually based in hardware or other 3rd party software challanges.

Anyway. Replicator..

It sounds like a heat problem.
Or, check the capacitors on the mother board to make sure they are all flat on top. Especially those around the CPU.

Is this an old box? OR is it a brand new one?

Please list some specs on your system such as CPU, motherboard, age etc.

Replicator

All brand new . . . Windows XP Professional - SP3

ASUS P50E motherboard
Seagate 320GB hard-drives (Mirrored with Raid controllers)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT graphics card
CPU ? . . . Not at the computer this evening !

How can I check heat ?

Techman

does it just quit responding? or does it simply lock up? does it shut down if u hold the shut off button fr about 10 secs?

Signalaugh

Two things

From the symptoms you describe it sounds like your hard disk. Ram or heat are the other possibilities already mentioned.

Have it tested by a computer guy.

My question to you is why would you do all of this? From the sounds of it at least 10 to 12 hours. And installing this crap is a pain in the butt. The most that my computer ever cost me to get fixed was $175. At least get an expert to fix it. You wouldn't want him to build a sign.

anotherdog

Having been exactly where you are now, I had two choices;
1. take it to someone who knows exactly what to do
2. buy another computer with the OS already loaded.
Strangely enough both are pretty close in cost. Since XP will only use about 3 gig of ram you don't have to get a big expensive replacement. That way you get your life back and help the economy at the same time.

GB2

Old Member
If you just bought a new computer, you should certainly be able to consult the place you purchased it from first I would think. Where did you get it from, store, internet, computer guy down the street? Just out of curiousity, is this your only computer now?

Conor Knoxx

while "get professional help" is a reasonable reply....
when it comes to computers, sadly, its not very cut'n dry for solutions.
Especially when a mix of programs gets into the mix!

A "shop" can test all your compenents, and perhaps have more experience at nailing down the exact errors... but some buggy program that has an odd conflict with some piece of hardware, can be a nightmare for anyone!

I'd certainly check through the "hardware" tests.. heat can be a big problem, agreed! Try simply running it "covers off" to see if it helps. Even stick a small desk fan in front of the open case, lol - all just for troubleshooting purposes of course!

Using a Raid mirror is a fantastic idea of course - but it adds complexity to the "problem" - a small problem on either drive could give you grief, or a controller problem. Though its a lot of trouble, might be worth trying to get it up and stable with a single drive for now...

If I was gonna "bet" on the problem though - my first choice would be a bad memory stick (you won't access all the memory until you start using more and more software)

secon thought would be a weak power supply.

One big advantage a computer shop has (if the problem can be duplicated) is the ability to trial / error components.

Good luck to you! computer woes are no joke, when you're trying to run a business with them!!

Sparky

I am 100% mac guy, but all my friends see that that I don't have computer issues, so they bring their stuff to me to fix. I have gotten pretty good by accident I guess.

One thing, ESPECIALLY with XP sp3 is the that the drivers are installed. Are you reinstalling the OS from a restore disk? If so, this may not be the problem.

You said, you are not getting errors, but I am sure there is something in the error log specified above. One thing to look for is a kernal panic. That usually causes the "blue screen" but may not all the time. If you are getting kernal panics, it is because of hardware, not software. Did you install hardware/software with hardware before the big crash?

Your raid controller program could be a culprit of the above...

Hard to say without having it here, but hopefully something someone says here will trigger the solution.

G

gps-hi

Well, being that this is happening on a new computer and it was happening on the old one, I suspect some malicious software. Have you done scans on software prior to installing? If you're working from downloaded files rather than factory burned discs then there a chance that one or more of you executables has been corrupted.

Cadmn

Make sure you are using Clean installs. sounds like you might have a bug in one of your files you are restoring therefore transfering the problem from old system to New. & to those pushing to take it to a "pro" Some of us were "ProS" before becoming Sign people I spent many years as an A+ cert Tech & I've seen some pretty fishy stuff like rep is having & He is basically trouble shooting the way Many "pros" do I've worked with Many that were hmm Replace this nope didn't fix so hmm try this as stated I've seen memory do this, I've seen power supplies also do this .
good luck

Replicator

UPDATE:

I spent most of today installing and licensing or using existing licensed programs from another computer and creating portable apps out of them using a portable application creator.

Then loading the portable apps into a folder on the new computer and creating shortcuts to the portable apps on the quick launch toolbar.

The only programs I couldn't do it with were FlexiSIGN due to the dongle, Estimate and VersaWorks.

Add in there my email and firefox and I've got a total of 5 programs installed on the computer . . . The rest are portable apps, and store nothing on the computer, in the registry or in the system folders.

All is running great at the moment, if the computer screws up again now . . . I'm taking it back ! ! !