• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To make or to buy shirt boards

I acquired a older 4 color 4 station press from a friend. All of the boards are very badly warped. I was thinking about making my own but don't know if it is worth it with installing the laminate top. I was wondering what everyone else does.

Do you just buy new boards as you need them or do you make your own?

If you make your own do you just use a piece of mdf or better?

Do you put a laminate top on the wood or is it unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for your guy help and suggestions.

AF

I haven't done screen in 20 years but I would just make them for a fun weekend project. MDX and laminate with gator backer should be quite stable.

Dennis422

There used to be a guy from Seattle that was making them for $15/piece. Up to 20" long and 16" wide for that price.
Unfortunately, he closed up :(

I did try getting some from eBay, they were not that bad. My suggestion would be to go with Aluminum ones. Pricey but worth it.
I do not know how much would laminate cost, but I would think that for the pricing you can find online, making your own would not be an option.
Materials and time, probably cheaper and easier to order.

Good luck. If you have any questions abou SP, let me know.

D2S

I used to make my own, until I got aluminum platens the best thing I have ever done, and you never need to replace again.

inexpensive platens

you can make them from counter top cut offs or the cut out from where the sinks are inset, stop by a cabinet shop and they need to get rid of the cutoffs anyway, then layout and copy the old platen , use the old hardware and do a clear coat sealer on the bottom side. The flash cure seems to warp the platens over time. Good Luck .