• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

to mask or not to mask - laminated window perf

jaylem

I've installed a fair amount of vinyl including window perf...I haven't been masking the laminated window perf but I have been masking a lot more print and laminated graphics lately...I had seen a couple people advocating the mask in a lot of situations other than when vinyl is contour cut...

Anybody find an appreciable difference applying window perf if it is masked?

ikarasu

We mask when we need certain spacing. Or if we're putting on a long long piece of vinyl that's really stretchable, and needs to stay perfectly straight (such as a 10 ft long guiding arrow)

Window perf is kind of stiff and doesn't stretch, I don't see what masking would help with? Maybe it'll protect it from scratches, if your pushing too hard... But that'd be a different problem to fix.

But I've never tried it... Imo, window perf is one of the easiest things to install, laminated or not. Barely ever bubbles... If it does you just poke a tiny hole in-between with a needle and it's gone... If you need to relift and re-apply, it doesn't stretch the graphics at all.

I'd think with premask it'd be harder, you wouldn't be able to see / feel it as good.

DJr

Don't mask because if the window perf is 50/50 or 60/40 you are missing a considerable amount of area the laminate is actually sticking to. Therefore I've seen the app tape pull the laminate off the surface of the perf upon removal. Guess what time to start over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk