• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To Print or Cut?

kroger

I have a 7’ x 9’ one colour logo (Semi circle) going on a transport trailer both sides, tons of rivets. I only have a few days to get it ready to install. Should I print chocolate brown on white or cut out in chocolate brown cast vinyl? The trailer is white with silver rivets pretty sure. The logo is maybe 2/3 brown and the rest is white. It is an easy logo to cut when going on white as that is the logos background. Only me installing and rivets are difficult. What is easier? I have a 30” printer so I am looking at 4 strips regardless. Thanks.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Honestly it comes down to what material you’re using.

In an ideal world where both materials have the same specs, the cut vinyl will last longer vs printed vinyl so On a single colour job, I’d go for the cut vinyl. (If you have it in stock)

rjssigns

Cut vinyl. Work to the rivets and leave them tented. Once all vinyl is down go back and shrink rivets with a torch, squeegee then rivet brush(the really stiff one from 3M) Used to do a lot of trailers way back when and that was our method.
We had a per rivet up charge on the quote too.

kroger

Ugh. I Had to decide quick before I got responses and ended up printing thinking that is what most would do. Avery mai 1005. I wish I went the vinyl route now. Any suggestions on installing 4 panels? What was suggested above....tenting? I put a bit smaller logo on a covered trailer with rivets and it was awful!!

citysignshop

Ugh. I Had to decide quick before I got responses and ended up printing thinking that is what most would do. Avery mai 1005. I wish I went the vinyl route now. Any suggestions on installing 4 panels? What was suggested above....tenting? I put a bit smaller logo on a covered trailer with rivets and it was awful!!
After losing money doing a few trucks with domed rivets ( when we expected the flatter ones) we started to suggest mounting something like .060" white enameled aluminum ( same as the trailer sides essentially) after we had applied the graphics flat on a table in the shop. They took the panels and just pop-rivetted onto the sides. Bonus,.... they could remove and put on a new truck. One downside, this doesn't work over curves, back doors, etc.....only practice, and a healthy vocabulary helps to deal with rivets!

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Avery & Rob Ivers say:

"Tenting around rivets can be eliminated with an air release tool, heat source and rivet brush OR by pressing the top of the rivet head down, forcing air away from the rivet and into the flat area surrounding the rivet head. Secure the film around the rivet head by using a heat source and working the film in a circular counter clockwise motion back towards the base of the rivet head

https://graphics.averydennison.com..../en/Instructional-Bulletins/Avery-IB-1.15.pdf

Good luck!

karst41

Cut vinyl. Work to the rivets and leave them tented. Once all vinyl is down go back and shrink rivets with a torch, squeegee then rivet brush(the really stiff one from 3M) Used to do a lot of trailers way back when and that was our method.
We had a per rivet up charge on the quote too.

The Rivet brush in this application is a throwback to the stone ages,

Roller Pro is the way to go.
At first I thought the YouTube videos were staged, and then I saw a crew using them.
It just so happened that I was working on Hyundai Trailers that day.
These trailers use double bucked rivets. they are the worst scenario for graphics
and will easily slice through the vinyl at application when brushing.

With the roller pro you heat throw some heat on about a 30" row of rivets, roll it one time and done. If touch up is needed repeat and Done.
These things are expensive at around $80 each. and the massive savings in time
pays for it on the first job

I'd do with air release printed or cut vinyl (makes no difference other than price), prep the surface around the rivets with 3m primer 94 and give a goooood heat treatment afterwards. I guarantee you the next guy will cry while removing the vinyl.

karst41

You should have NO Problems installing 1005 Avery on a trailer, especially with standard button head rivets. You squeegee it down and pretend there is no rivets.
Then touch up loose edges around the rivets prior to removing the transfer tape.
And you put that 'ish down dry.

I have been making and installing Graphics for 29 years now and have performed installations on tens of thousands of trucks.
The Arthritis in my fingers is awful and I need both knees replaced. (my reward)

BTW 10 years later when those graphics need to come off Avery is the worst.
USE 3m 180 c series
And for what its worth to Everybody reading this.

3m MC 180 spot vinyl starts breaking at the 6 - 7 year post installation.

3m IJ 180c with 8519 Luster Lam is still solid with NO Breaks at 12 years.
Also the HP Latex Inks with the 3m media qualifies for the 7 year MCS Warranty.
And there is less than 7% fade after 10 years.
It also removes beautifully after 10 - 12 years.

3m SC 50 series Intermediate Spot Vinyl, out last the High Pro vinyl in the same application.

If you are going to do a fleet then you need to start working with 54" media.
60" is just too wide and awkward to deal with in the shop and at installation.
the 54" trims down to 52.5" is is just right.
My installers love it.

Cheers

PS. I do not recommend 3650. its a pain in the donkey to remove.
Requires chemical and hot steam to cut it off

mkmie

Lost Soul
You should have NO Problems installing 1005 Avery on a trailer, especially with standard button head rivets. You squeegee it down and pretend there is no rivets.
Then touch up loose edges around the rivets prior to removing the transfer tape.

I have been making and installing Graphics for 29 years now and have performed installations on tens of thousands of trucks.
The Arthritis in my fingers is awful and I need both knees replaced. (my reward)

USE 3m 180 c series

3m SC 50 series Intermediate Spot Vinyl, out last the High Pro vinyl in the same application.

My installers love it.

Cheers

Are you saying the 8519 Luster outlasts 8518 Gloss?

Baz

I would either get a cast wrap brown vinyl or print it on wrap vinyl then laminate and cut (i use Avery 1105 with 1360 lam).
Air release is important for this. You don't want to mess around with the rivets and have other parts stick and create bubbles.

After that a torch and Role-Pro is the way to go.

Leave channels where the rivets are and heat/roll over.

It's the quickest way.

d fleming

If all I had was 30" to print with I would have either sent print out to be done or most likely used cut vinyl but hindsight is 20/20. That being said I love my roll pro. Once you get the hang of it it is a race car compared to other techniques.

kroger

USE 3m 180 c series

My installers love it.

Cheers

The good thing is I don’t have transfer tape on. It is just 4 straight panels 28” x 78” x2. Thanks for all the responses!

kroger

It went better than I thought it would. Took a bit of advice from all of you. Putting it on dry, tenting the rivets and Also trying to ignore the rivets worked best. Also a pin hole under the rivets was necessary too. Where I went Wrong on the last trailer I did was applying it wet.
A few messy rivets but its viewed from a distance! Thanks everyone!

ikarasu

No
It went better than I thought it would. Took a bit of advice from all of you. Putting it on dry, tenting the rivets and Also trying to ignore the rivets worked best. Also a pin hole under the rivets was necessary too. Where I went Wrong on the last trailer I did was applying it wet.
A few messy rivets but its viewed from a distance! Thanks everyone!
not to scare you. But that trailer will likely fail :( you're not supposed to wet apply air release vinyl. The tiny holes trap in the water and prevent the vinyl from adhering.... Unless it was a very warm day and the water evaporated quickly, you may get a bunch of lifting in a few days.

karst41

The good thing is I don’t have transfer tape on. It is just 4 straight panels 28” x 78” x2. Thanks for all the responses!
If working outside, and especially during July-Mid Sept months the heat off the side of the trailers can train wreck your day in an instant.

Trans Tape is your insurance. If you are indoors then no trans tape will be needed.
On a hot day you can stretch the prints just from removing the liner.

karst41

Are you saying the 8519 Luster outlasts 8518 Gloss?

For commercial applications use the Luster Lam.

Here is why.
A car is barreling down the road and the driver is texting, crashes into the side
of a Municipal transit bus Bart, Cart, Marta etc etc.

Driver is clearly at fault. Drivers Lawyer discovers Glossy Laminate on the bus wrap.
"Driver was momentarily blinded by the glare of sun bouncing off the side of the bus."

Yeah driver still has to pay the ticket/fine but his Lawyer just cleaned up in a settlement.
This 'ish really happened in Atlanta and other Cities.

Currently in Atlanta we see a lot of Matte laminate on the bus wraps.

Cheers

ikarasu

For commercial applications use the Luster Lam.

Here is why.
A car is barreling down the road and the driver is texting, crashes into the side
of a Municipal transit bus Bart, Cart, Marta etc etc.

Driver is clearly at fault. Drivers Lawyer discovers Glossy Laminate on the bus wrap.
"Driver was momentarily blinded by the glare of sun bouncing off the side of the bus."

Yeah driver still has to pay the ticket/fine but his Lawyer just cleaned up in a settlement.
This 'ish really happened in Atlanta and other Cities.

Currently in Atlanta we see a lot of Matte laminate on the bus wraps.

Cheers

Seems dumb to me. What about all the reflective on police cars and ambulances?

Or paint on vehicles? Cars are inherently shiny. Or at night with people and their heads lights... Or the million traffic signs that reflect light.

I'm not doubting you that it happened. Just that it's such a stupid excuse and should have been thrown out... And in any sane court system it would be.

kroger

If working outside, and especially during July-Mid Sept months the heat off the side of the trailers can train wreck your day in an instant.

Trans Tape is your insurance. If you are indoors then no trans tape will be needed.
On a hot day you can stretch the prints just from removing the liner.
That’s exactly what happened. Now I understand why. I was indoors but it was quite warm out.