• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To print wraps on vertical or horizontal??

biggmann

We have always printed our wraps in vertical tiles widths of 50 inches. When we do this we have 4 or 5 panels and therefore have 4 or 5 seams to try and line up, which never seem to line up properly. I have always wondered if it would be better to print the panels horizontally and have only 1 seam to deal with. I have seen several videos showing both techniques so I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on doing it one way or the other. I only ask because I have a full truck wrap to do on a Sierra and the overall height is around 60 inches so I will have a seam if I do it horizontally and again about 5 seams if I do it vertically and it seems that I can never get the images to line up properly I have even given it 1/2 inch overlap so I would like to get this one perfect.

ironchef

I've found out from earlier posts that most people here like going vertical. I've also seen some horizontal installs tho (youtube...geekwraps)

jkdbjj

Biggman, aren't you trying to make the panels at least fall into the vertical cracks, like door hinges so there is no seem?
On Sierra you should't have that many seems if it is laid out correctly.

TXFB.INS

depends a lot on the vehicle you are installing on

box truck / panel trailer = vertical

small car = horizontal

also take into account how many people will be installing as a vertical install is easier for one person and uses gravity as you aide.

401Graphics

depends a lot on the vehicle you are installing on

box truck / panel trailer = vertical

small car = horizontal

also take into account how many people will be installing as a vertical install is easier for one person and uses gravity as you aide.
this

carter75

For a truck I like to do the whole side of the box in one piece, then there are no seams. They are usually pretty easy to do and it looks the best that way. Other than that, I prefer the vertical panels, but I wrap by myself so it makes it easier. On a side note, if you are having trouble lining up the image/text at the seams you just have to make sure that when you apply the vinyl that you make sure that you don't pull it or stretch it.

biggmann

Since we are doing the whole truck I would like to take the whole side image into versaworks and clip the section of the bed and print that horizontally and then print the cab of the truck vertically so that the seams fall in the "cracks" of the doors and the quarter panel of the truck horizontally again. In my mind this will work and that way there are no seams at all but since I have never done it this way i would like to know if this sounds like it would work.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm curious why you're printing 50" wide panels.
If you're using 54" rolls, you can easily print 52" widths.
2" adds up...I'm just saying.

WB

I've installed both. I try and do a complete car in 1 horizontal panel if possible If not I look at the design and look to see if it lends itself to a 2 hozi. panel tile.. I'll do the bottom with the large panel then the top remaining 6-10" with the top panel..

Depends on the design/vehicle because lining up the top panel to the bottom may sometimes be tricky after you've tucked and finished all you window's and curves.