• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To use the www or not?

mfatty500

I know this has been discussed, do you or do you not add the www to the layout. That is my question, I searched but did not find any threads about it.

ThisIsKindOfAFunnyPost.com

While I'd definitely say that I tend to lean towards leaving the www. off of web addresses, I can see why some people would lean towards using it. The www. is a visual cue that lets you know you're looking at a web address before you even consciously read the web address. Incorporating the www. to avoid visual discord on a layout, where symmetry is perhaps a matter of necessity, is a bit of a stretch. My suggestion, in that case, would be to either use all lower case letters, or if you prefer to capitalize the first letter of each word, use a capital C on the .Com. It's not like it matters anyway.

ikarasu

Isn't it usually up to the customer? We tend to do it sometimes, sometimes we don't. It depends on the design, and what we think looks better. But what we think and the customer thinks isn't always right.

We've also had some customers ask us to change it both ways.... Some like the www, some don't.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just read the web address out loud including the www and you will hear why it should not be included.

neato

Depends. Is it still 1998?

What about putting the http:// there too?

Does anyone really type www. into there browser anymore?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We leave it off when we can, it generally leaves more room for the other letters on small signs.
Some of them are really long.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
yep, shorten if it squishes letters. Vertically oriented windows, for example.

fresh

generally leave it out, unless it's in an area of the layout that has space to eat.

www.AlwayTalkPeopleIntoCapitolizingTheFirstLetterInTheirVeryLongWebAddresses.com
I do this in ALL layouts. I'd say about 25% of my clients make me change it to all lowercase. I don't fight them on it, because if they are too uneducated to realize that it works either way (it takes all of 3 seconds to test it yourself) I'm not getting paid enough to give them a basic knowledge of how the internet works.

Last edited:

KMC

Graphic Artist
I do this in ALL layouts. I'd say about 25% of my clients make me change it to all lowercase. I don't fight them on it, because if they are too uneducated to realize that it works either way (it takes all of 3 seconds to test it yourself) than I'm not getting paid enough to give them a basic knowledge of how the internet works.

i find the worst clients for that are in the legal field who [HASHTAG]#KnowMoreThanCommonSignFolk[/HASHTAG]