• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Too fat for my step ladder?

bigben

So my friend just point to my attention that my step ladder was rated for a maximum of 300lbs. Well, I'm a bit over than that and was wondering if I should have a real concern about this.

I've looked on the net and there is not alot of ladders that is rated for over 300lbs. Some of them are 375lbs (Featherlite), but the price is more than double (around 600$+).

I'm sure I'm not the only "fat guy" that use ladders. So what are my options?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a plank that is rated for 200 lbs but 2 of us (over 200lbs each) get on them and jump up and down. I think their weight rating is just to conform with insurance and safety standards and not the real limit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're over their weight limit, they are not held responsible, but what most of those companies do is to get the bearing load weight and cut it in half. I would not want to go doubling it, but if it says 250, you can count on maybe 400 before you start seeing some stress being created.

bigben

If you're over their weight limit, they are not held responsible, but what most of those companies do is to get the bearing load weight and cut it in half. I would not want to go doubling it, but if it says 250, you can count on maybe 400 before you start seeing some stress being created.

That was my thinking too. I'm 90% sure there will have no problem.

If I weighed 300+ lbs I'd be concerned about my weight not my ladder.

Well, I'm not skinny but with my 6ft5in tall I'm not that fat either.

d fleming

I'm 275 but I'm also 6'4". Still would be nice to see 250 again.:) I have a lil giant ladder rated for 600lbs just so two of us can be on it if necessary. Not cheap but I've had it about 17 years, just used it Saturday. Will use it again tomorrow. It lives on the bucket truck. Extends to 23 feet if needed or up to 12 ft a frame. Can also be used in two pieces for short scaffold. Had to build two section scaffolds Saturday and use bucket + ladder. Long dang day. Was hot as hades to boot. Don't cheap out on proper equipment to be safe while working.

bigben

I'm 275 but I'm also 6'4". Still would be nice to see 250 again.:) I have a lil giant ladder rated for 600lbs just so two of us can be on it if necessary. Not cheap but I've had it about 17 years, just used it Saturday. Will use it again tomorrow. It lives on the bucket truck. Extends to 23 feet if needed or up to 12 ft a frame. Can also be used in two pieces for short scaffold. Had to build two section scaffolds Saturday and use bucket + ladder. Long dang day. Was hot as hades to boot. Don't cheap out on proper equipment to be safe while working.

I've just went to the little giant ladder website, and it's rated at 300lbs like the one I already have.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is on their website :

Strength
The Little Giant is made of heavy-wall, 6005-T5 aluminum the very same material used in aerospace construction. So it's ultra-strong while remaining light and portable.

In fact, The Little Giant Type 1AA is government-rated to hold up to 375 pounds, but has survived brutal stress testing of up to 1200 pounds with absolutely no structural failure.

I think I have mine figured up to 500lbs or so, keeping in mind what it will really hold.

Billct2

Like the others have said you should be fine. I would be cautious about what you lift while you're at the top of the ladder, any ladder. And you may want to give it a good inspection once in a while tore everything's tight. My landlords business (union electricians) replaces their ladders when they start showing wear, all the guys grabbed some for home use.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
If a ladder says 300, it will hold much more than that, but use a little common sense about where you put your feet (toward the outside of the rungs is best) and make sure that the feet are properly planted so you're not putting unnecessary stress on one leg at a time. While I'm only 200, I know I have held more than 100 pound signs while standing on a 200-250 lb limit ladder with no fear of going to the ground. My cable guy is a big fellow and he uses Werner Big Blue ladders. I'm not sure the rating but it's at least 300.

Enola

I have a little giant, but its too heavy for me to lug around. Nice ladder, but I'm a wimp evidently.

As for the weight issue.
My brother goes over 400. He is 6'7" and has competed in body building venues.
His waist is a 36"

I'm at 5' 6", and weight wise can still use any darn ladder I please!!!! (the best your getting)
LOL

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
300+ lbs remark

I really wanted to reply something to this but thought better of it.

Come on people this is a site for people to post and find help and get constructive criticism when asked for. All I can say is WTF!

Johnny Best

I had a large friend who was a great sign painter in the 60s. He was painting an address number above a door when the wooden ladder he was on broke, fell back hit his head on the sidewalk and died right there. No LilGiants at that time.
So maybe the 300+lbs remark is constructive criticism about being on ladders.
When I heard my friend died that way WTF was all I could say too.
Everyone needs to lighten up, not only physically but mentally.

d fleming

I have a little giant, but its too heavy for me to lug around. Nice ladder, but I'm a wimp evidently.

As for the weight issue.
My brother goes over 400. He is 6'7" and has competed in body building venues.
His waist is a 36"

I'm at 5' 6", and weight wise can still use any darn ladder I please!!!! (the best your getting)
LOL
The guys whine about how heavy my lil giant is but they all want to be the one to use it.

Pat Whatley

No big deal, just print a couple of these and cover the 300 pound labels on your ladder.

Attachments

• 222.png
    222.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 313