• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Torn..

royaltygraphics

Hi-

So, I know there is a lot of information on this website.. but I feel that if I tried to read it all (and i've spent several days reading) I'd be here for a couple of months..

Heres the deal..
I'm looking into getting a printer.. and there are two that I am torn between. One being the VP-300 (used, but for $11,000). The other, being the SP-540V (used once again, for $12,000) Both machines seem to be in good condition. The VP is still under warranty.

I know that the VP is a much better machine, but it's a 30" and thats my hold back. I have seemed to convince myself that if I were to get the 30" I could still do everything that a 54" could because I could match / layer things up as if I were doing a wrap. (which is something I'm also considering while doing this too) and if I needed to do a larger banner, I could easily outsource it, but i'm not planning on doing too many banners.

The SP-540V, would obviously be the best size, but it is an SP-V and it may have sat for a while, I'm going to go see a test / print and cut sometime this week.

But I was wondering what you guys thought about this.. if there was anything else i'm not considering.. experience with the two machines..

Thanks for advice in advance.

:wavingflag:

Mason

Hi-

So, I know there is a lot of information on this website.. but I feel that if I tried to read it all (and i've spent several days reading) I'd be here for a couple of months..

Heres the deal..
I'm looking into getting a printer.. and there are two that I am torn between. One being the VP-300 (used, but for $11,000). The other, being the SP-540V (used once again, for $12,000) Both machines seem to be in good condition. The VP is still under warranty.

I know that the VP is a much better machine, but it's a 30" and thats my hold back. I have seemed to convince myself that if I were to get the 30" I could still do everything that a 54" could because I could match / layer things up as if I were doing a wrap. (which is something I'm also considering while doing this too) and if I needed to do a larger banner, I could easily outsource it, but i'm not planning on doing too many banners.

The SP-540V, would obviously be the best size, but it is an SP-V and it may have sat for a while, I'm going to go see a test / print and cut sometime this week.

But I was wondering what you guys thought about this.. if there was anything else i'm not considering.. experience with the two machines..

Thanks for advice in advance.

:wavingflag:

Do yourself a favor, buy the 540 and dont look back, the 30" machine will leave you with regrets, take it from someone who knows.

Techman

i had a 36" incher. I outgrew it the first week.
I got a 60" incher. I do not use the full width very often. However I do use the 48" wide settings all the time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA...................

540. Speed won't be an issue in the beginning. As far as dependability, you're out in California, so you should have good support.

njsigns

Do yourself a favor, buy the 540 and dont look back, the 30" machine will leave you with regrets, take it from someone who knows.

+1 - I wish I would have listened to the advice given here, but I had to learn the hard way...

Gene

vectorterrorist

I had the exact same problem and asked the exact same question- I went with a 54 and I'm glad I did- I would of been kicking myself in the butt by now over the 30"

joeshaul

Currently own a SP300, hopefully will get a 54" before the end of the yaer (was my next purchase after an engraver that I bought in March). Go big, the extra print time is saved trying to seam together a job and make it look professional.

Tim Aucoin

Had a similar decision to make last December... Went with the 540 and am so glad I did. 80% of my work prints larger than 36"... You'll just end up going 54" in the near future, so why not just take the leap right now. If your tests work out and the printer is in good condition, then go for it! If it's from a dealer, try and get at least a 6 month warranty with it. Good luck! :Welcome:

signpro

Manager
here's another vote for the 540... i love my SP540V... the speed isn't an issue for us. i wish we were running it 100% of time, but we're not quite there yet.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
+1 for the 54"

You will save the extra money in time spent lining up tiled prints and by being able to print bigger banners $$$$$

Don't forget the laminator. 95% of all your prints will be laminted (none of your banners)

54" for sure, EXCEPT if you are doing small sizes..ie: decals - it makes handling the media much easier for weeding etc...other than that...54" print & cut, or larger if you need a print only machine.

guillermo

I have a SP300V, I do as much as I can, bigger sizes?, well I have a good vendor that will do it for me........ I did not nothing about wide format until my manager bought this 30 inches...... I was amazed of what this printer does, but she could not afford the 54", (was $21,000 and $17,000 for a 30 inches when she got it in 2001), we are a non profit for the university.

But go big.