• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Touch Up - Eco Solvent

SV Signworks

Can anyone recommend the best method for slight scratch touch up for eco solvent printing? I've got a large piece - that got barely scratched somehow - I'm hoping I don't have to reprint the whole thing... surely someone must have gotten the occasional scratch on print work - how do you handle it? Are there some pens that sort of work - do you print a tiny strip to cover the scratch - do you offer the client a minuscule discount? Thanks for your help.

bannertime

Depends on the color. We've used sharpies before. If it's like a temporary promo piece we've printed a patch to go over it.

SV Signworks

It's a grey gradient. I'm thinking printing a patch might be the best bet. It's a sign that'll be about 20-30 off the ground... I'm pretty certain I can cut the "fix". Sharpies, good idea - I'll look at a set. Thanks.

JulieS

Sharpies don't come in any good grays, but they can look ok for most colors. A different "neutral" colored Sharpie, like brown or black or navy, is better sometimes than trying to match a color exactly. And stippling or smudging the Sharpie can help it blend in better. If it's going that high up, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's REALLY bad. A patch will have a raised edge that may be as noticeable as a minor scratch.

AKwrapguy

Can anyone recommend the best method for slight scratch touch up for eco solvent printing? I've got a large piece - that got barely scratched somehow - I'm hoping I don't have to reprint the whole thing... surely someone must have gotten the occasional scratch on print work - how do you handle it? Are there some pens that sort of work - do you print a tiny strip to cover the scratch - do you offer the client a minuscule discount? Thanks for your help.

What type of material? It doesn't matter that much but if you scratched the material and it's in a gradient, your kinda SOL. You can try to print a patch but depending on your setup there's a good chance it won't match and the patch will stick out more than the scratch will. Why did you not laminated it?

SV Signworks

What type of material? It doesn't matter that much but if you scratched the material and it's in a gradient, your kinda SOL. You can try to print a patch but depending on your setup there's a good chance it won't match and the patch will stick out more than the scratch will. Why did you not laminated it?
When we purchased the company she didn't have a laminator. Our Mutoh broke down shortly after purchasing and so we couldn't afford a laminator. We pick and choose which jobs to cold laminate. hung this piece to let the solvent evaporate and somehow scratched it in the process. I did actually print and cut a patch. It looks pretty darned good. I think the customer will be pleased. And if anyone wants to sell a laminator cheap I am all over that! :D

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If this is going outside, ya know how long your sharpie is gonna last ?? Inside you have a better chance.

If you don't tell your customer about this and they see it later, they might wonder why they're are being charged full price for something which was damaged before they ever got it.

If you tell them up front, some people will demand it is in as good condition as you can muster up, If your best is patched up signs, then that's what your reputation will be.

I don't think it's a tough call. Afterall, it is YOUR NEW business..... wanna make an impression ??

bannertime

It's a sign that'll be about 20-30 off the ground...

Sounds like it's more of a permanent install. If this is anything that is backlit or some type of branding or business identification sign then it's better to reprint. It's what, like $30 worth of material? Personally, if it's more like a "building for sale" type sign, wouldn't worry about it, unless it's backlit.

TimToad

How big is it?

Our philosophy is that material is cheap, our reputation is VERY expensive.

Have you tried any of the liquid laminates? Most are fairly easy to apply and provide decent scratch protection and some added fade resistance.