• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Touching up prints.

Every once in a great while I'll pull a print off the printer and I'll notice a light or white spot in the middle of a field of color where a speck of dust obstructed the print head. I'm just curious, how many of you attempt to touch up such things and if so, what do you use?

I like the fact that Sharpie pens come in a wide variety of colors and are permanent, but I don't like how the solvent in the markers reacts with the solvent ink on our prints. In other words, I have to be pretty careful not to overdo something and end up making it worse than it was to begin with. What do you guys do? Pitch it and reprint it, or do you have a favorite pen or something altogether different that you use to touch things up before laminating?

I was getting ready to order a 24 pack of assorted ultra-fine tip Sharpies, but figured I'd get some feedback here and maybe learn something new.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to the importance of the job and how critical someone will be, many times, you can do a dry coat of liquid clear in the vicinity of the problem, and THEN hit it with your pen or whatever else you use. Once the piece is entirely laminated, it shouldn't show at all. I also use Decor pens. They're great and come in many colors, too.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Every once in a great while I'll pull a print off the printer and I'll notice a light or white spot in the middle of a field of color where a speck of dust obstructed the print head. I'm just curious, how many of you attempt to touch up such things and if so, what do you use?

I like the fact that Sharpie pens come in a wide variety of colors and are permanent, but I don't like how the solvent in the markers reacts with the solvent ink on our prints. In other words, I have to be pretty careful not to overdo something and end up making it worse than it was to begin with. What do you guys do? Pitch it and reprint it, or do you have a favorite pen or something altogether different that you use to touch things up before laminating?

I was getting ready to order a 24 pack of assorted ultra-fine tip Sharpies, but figured I'd get some feedback here and maybe learn something new.
When i was working with a medium sized outfit, we had several sets of either actual pantone marker sets or prismacolor sets. They are expensive but usually fix the issue quickly.

unclebun

We use Sharpie on white specks in a black area. Only if it's something that someone is going to handle/see up close. On a big banner or sign it's immaterial.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
HAHAHAHAAAAA:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I thought I was the only one doing this. I have about 40 different sharpie colors that I keep on my truck in case I scratch a sign. They always work well enough that no one can tell. I also keep some white out if I ever scratch the panel. Also, brake cleaner is good at getting damage and scuffs off too.

Andy D

You might have seen my post, but I was told that was a hoax of some type... there's a word for it but can't think of it.

Every once in a great while I'll pull a print off the printer and I'll notice a light or white spot in the middle of a field of color where a speck.

Like Gino said, I have been wanting to try paint pens.

One tip I can make is keeping what you're filling in 2-3 shades lighter than the color around it, you will
never match it and you're just trying to make it so it doesn't stick out... white spots and darker spots stick out.

I have even filled in spots that should have been green or blue with a regular pencil before laminating, people
never see them unless they know to look for them.

Thanks for all the replies. Knowing that Sharpies do fade and do so rather quickly, I was hoping to see some of these alternatives. My only hesitation with paint pens would be that they don' have a very fine point and a fine point would be nice since most of the touch-ups that ever need to be done tend to be tiny. I've often thought the best thing would be a pencil which would allow you to blend colors, but I've never found a colored pencil that will actually mark on glossy vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just about any art store. AC Moore, Dick Blick

21337-tips3ww-l.jpg

Johnny Best

After I use up a color, MCYK, I open up the plastic box and drain the small amount of ink out into 4 small glass bottles.
When I need to touch up as described I tear a match out of a matchbook. The paper match has a soft fuzzy end where it was torn out. Slightly dip that end in the color and slightly touch up the small imperfection. Its an old signpainters trick they used and of course everyone had a pack of matches back then. Now you have to buy them.
I like the deco pen idea because touching up prints is few and far between and you can get the color you need easier.

mkmie

Lost Soul
Also found no matter what type of pen or marker is used to pounce it on and not try to paint in on in brush strokes. Dot, dot, dot and maybe blend a little with your ring finger. Half the time I am the only one who sees it.
Unclebun is probably right.

gabagoo

Just curious about the Sharpie. If you were to use it to cover a small blemish, then laminate the print...would not the laminate protect the sharpie ink for at least some amount of time?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just curious about the Sharpie. If you were to use it to cover a small blemish, then laminate the print...would not the laminate protect the sharpie ink for at least some amount of time?

No, not at all, unless you're satisfied with a coupla weeks. However, should this sign be indoors, it will have a better chance.

gabagoo

No, not at all, unless you're satisfied with a coupla weeks. However, should this sign be indoors, it will have a better chance.

I'm going to do a test now. My back door faces south. Gonna see just how long they last with a calendered laminate and no laminate and finally a cast laminate