• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Tracing cans for trimcap faces

henryz

Lay pattern paper over the face or cans and make a rubbing using carbon paper or something similar, works out every time.

Marlene

are the cans in your shop on are they in place and just need a new face? if in shop, there are a lot of ways to do a trace. if in the field it's harder but can be done. do you have the old face/faces? even if broken it helps

signbrad

I turn the letter can upside down on pattern paper, or paper-covered acrylic, and trace the contour of the letter can with pencil. Cut the acrylic with a saber saw, or jig saw, by hand, and then add trim cap.This assumes, of course, that I have the letter in the shop.
Tracing a letter on location can be done with paper and a stick of graphite. When taping up the paper, be careful to not distort the letter shapes by bending the returns as you make the rubbing.

After tracing on paper, I then use a marker to add a line to the outside of the pencil line, effectively adding clos to an eighth of an inch or so. Generally, a fine point Sharpie that has worn down to a rounded point works well. I then cut the outside of the marker line. This allows a little wiggle room.

The main danger is cutting the plastic face too small. Cutting it oversize a bit is usually not a problem.

Obviously, if you have enough of the broken face left, you can use it as a pattern.

A couple of other points:
For an exceptionally clean cut, use a hollow ground saber saw blade, 20 teeth per inch. The blade will heat up because it's so fine, so I go slow.
Also, I always use high grade cast acrylic for channel letter faces. It is engineered to be machined and will not melt back together behind a hot blade like the cheaper plastic grades do. In Plexiglas, this would be Plexiglas G, as opposed to, say, Plexiglas MC. Plexiglas G is cell-cast and is, of course, more expensive.

Brad in Kansas City