• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

track saw in a sign shop?

CanuckSigns

I was wondering if anyone uses a plunge cut track saw in their shop for cutting up sheet goods? We have a table saw and it's great for some things, but handling 4x8 sheets easily is not one of them. We used to have a keen cut stand up cutter but I found it lacking as it can't cut things like acrylic, wood etc.

I'm looking for a small solution that I can put away when not in use that won't take up a ton of space. A track saw looks like it might fit the bill, we primarily cut Acrylic up to 0.5" thick, ACM, MDO and roll stock polycarb for backlits

I'm talking about a saw like this Plunge Cut Track Saw TS 75 EQ-F-Plus-FS USA

Anyone have any thoughts?

henryz

These are pretty handy and not that expensive. You can rotate the saw horizontally and slice cut the sheets long way. We have the safety speed one, they have them at all the HD's.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You could just use your regular circular saw and power grip a straight edge for it. Be a lot cheaper than buying that thing. Don't get me wrong, that setup looks pretty neat, but why waste the money ??

fresh

we have a track saw and use it all the time. Its way easier than using a circular saw and straight edge. Particularly if you are cutting down multiple sheets of material.

Just make sure you have a wall at least 20' long or else you won't be able to rip 10' wide material.

TimToad

Thanks guys, looks like I may have sued the wrong term, I'm not looking for a panel saw, i'm looking at a track saw which uses an aluminum track to guide a circular saw along, like this
Plunge Cut Track Saw TS 75 EQ-F-Plus-FS USA
How much is the model that will do at least a 96" long cut?

I understand the desire to improve accuracy and predictability of the cutting process, but unless you are doing some really precision work like cabinetry you don't really gain anything compared to a decent panel saw with one of these except that it takes up less space and costs a lot of money. $1,000 for just a saw and another $300 for the actual tracking guide to cut up ACM, Lexan and MDO seems like overkill to me.

We use a Fletcher cutter for cuts up to 64" on most substrates and for long runs on MDO or other substrates, we just use a piece of flat bar as a guide and clamps with our worm drive circular saw and good blades. Our saw was about $200 and in the hands of someone who can push it straight against a guide, it works flawlessly.

Our woodworking neighbors in our complex are sponsored by Festools and a film crew was just here shooting a promotional video of them using all of their tools for an ad. They are featured in their print catalog and do unbelievable, top quality woodworking and mostly custom doors. That's the kind of market that tool is geared for.

FatCat

www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS520SK-Tracksaw-59-Inch-2-Inch/dp/B001J6DHCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519754101&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+track+saw

Been using this Dewalt Track saw for over 4 years. Can't say enough about it. Cuts dead straight, tracks go up agains the wall when not in use, saw goes back in box. Can cut directly on the floor or sawhorses or a table as long as you put a spoil board (we use foam) under it. Cuts PVC, Coro, MDO, Alupanel, HDU, acrylic, polycarb, etc... We have a 100" and the smaller 52" track so we can cut just about any size.

Don't know what we'd do without it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree.. Lexan is OK if it's not 100% straight because it's hidden by the frame. ACM is easy to cut with a box cutter and straight edge... cuts come out smooth. MDO... never really use that stuff anymore. I was C clamping a piece of square tube to the substrate as a guide when using a circular saw.. but quit doing that cause it really was't that important.

CanuckSigns

How much is the model that will do at least a 96" long cut?

I understand the desire to improve accuracy and predictability of the cutting process, but unless you are doing some really precision work like cabinetry you don't really gain anything compared to a decent panel saw with one of these except that it takes up less space and costs a lot of money. $1,000 for just a saw and another $300 for the actual tracking guide to cut up ACM, Lexan and MDO seems like overkill to me.

We use a Fletcher cutter for cuts up to 64" on most substrates and for long runs on MDO or other substrates, we just use a piece of flat bar as a guide and clamps with our worm drive circular saw and good blades. Our saw was about $200 and in the hands of someone who can push it straight against a guide, it works flawlessly.

Our woodworking neighbors in our complex are sponsored by Festools and a film crew was just here shooting a promotional video of them using all of their tools for an ad. They are featured in their print catalog and do unbelievable, top quality woodworking and mostly custom doors. That's the kind of market that tool is geared for.

Yes i know the festool one is very expensive, I'm not looking at that perticular model, dewalt, makita etc all make their own version that is much less expensive, you can get a saw & 102" of track for around $400 with some of the other brands.

Johnny Best

Track saws are fantastic, like said, cuts dead straight and has a hose for attachment to get debris.
I have a table saw, worm drive saw, circular saw and I purchased the Makita track saw and am very happy with it. Cuts .25" ACM like butter and .5" thickness acrylic with ease. Still use the table saw for a lot of things but the track saw is my go to for most sheet goods. You can also buy the blade to cut a grove in ACM to make bends. Also set the blade to any angle. You can adjust the depth of the blade and adjust rpm speed of the motor. Never was a fan of a panel saw.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Used that exact Festool track saw for years. One of the nicest tools I've ever used. You won't be disappointed. That being said, for cutting down material, just get a panel saw. The track saw is great for accuracy and a nice clean cut, but it's not nearly as efficient as a panel saw for cutting down lots of material.