• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trade Show Discount on Demo Printer

lenwardus

Do vendors usually offer to sell printers they have as demos
at trade shows for a discount? That is you take it directly
after the show ends, so they don't have to crate and transport
it.

If so, what kind of discount would customary?

fixtureman

It depends on the show how you get it out. It may cost you more after you pay to have it loaded. I do lots of different shows and they all have their own rules.

Scott Reynolds

I didnt think about that. In Vegas the Teamsters move and load everything off the floor. I know 4 or 5 Teamsters that work at the convention center, their houses are full of "stuff" that never made it back to the company's after a convention closes.

Stealth Ryder

You can get a significant discount, if it can be shipped to directly from the floor of the Trade Show or you can roll it out of there... Most will usually offer a 1K discount if you roll it out of there at the end of the show... Cash Money makes a big, huge influence in how willing or far an exhibitor is willing to go in regards to shipping... They never want to ship something back to themselves... C$SH Money always gets you a better deal...

Stealth Ryder

I didnt think about that. In Vegas the Teamsters move and load everything off the floor. I know 4 or 5 Teamsters that work at the convention center, their houses are full of "stuff" that never made it back to the company's after a convention closes.

Isn't that stealing/theft... I have had things "come up missing" from shows there... The insurance pays $1.00 Per Pound up to $50.00 (very small writing in the contract)... Some of my machines cost upwards of 50K...

Pat Whatley

Not always stealing. You'd be amazed at how much stuff just gets left from a major convention. People either forget it, don't want the hassle of lugging it all to a shipping company to get it back home, or planned on it being used and discarded right from the start.

Stealth Ryder

Not always stealing. You'd be amazed at how much stuff just gets left from a major convention. People either forget it, don't want the hassle of lugging it all to a shipping company to get it back home, or planned on it being used and discarded right from the start.

I see you point Pat, I always wanted/intended to get mine back, that's why I paid upfront for shipping back to my home location... Like I said, the fine writing in the contract allows for folks to take what they want with the folks responsible for my property only liable for pennies on the dollar... I understand it is a risk, just wish more people involved in these ventures were as honest as me... BTW, I never said I left a product simply because I did not want to pay shipping back back home, I assure you I want my 50K printer back if I do not sell it at a show... I am a little guy, that kind of money can make or break me for the year...

After some consideration I think this... Just because something is laying there and a person takes it, this does not make it right... If it was not given to you by the owner or you did not purchase it from the owner it is in fact stealing, this can't be argued...

Pat Whatley

I'm not saying $50K printers get abandoned...more along the lines of chairs, tables, displays, and smaller merchandise.

FishnSigns

Be careful with "demo" printers sold off the trade show floor. Some manufacturers transport the printer from show to show before selling it. As we all know, printers run best when printing on a regular basis. They don't like to print for 2-3 days - sit for 3-4 days like they might in a trade show environment. They also can get beat up in shipping. I would strongly recommend taking them up on their "show special" rather than buying the demo unit. There is always room to negotiate.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Dealers love not having to take equipment back after the show their intentions are to do whatever it takes to sell the floor model so they don't have to bring it back. Shows are great places to get dialed in printers.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm not saying $50K printers get abandoned...more along the lines of chairs, tables, displays, and smaller merchandise.
Do you think any of those show floor models dressed in skimpy outfits ever get left behind?
I'd be willing to pay shipping and handling to clear up the lost and found a little.

wayne k
guam usa

lenwardus

Do the manufacturers bring their own machines to shows or do they
contract local dealers to deliver and setup machines that the manufacturer
sold them?

WildWestDesigns

Do the manufacturers bring their own machines to shows or do they
contract local dealers to deliver and setup machines that the manufacturer
sold them?

Most of the ones that I have talked to at the NNEP show that I attend bring their own. If it goes through dealers then it's the dealers that have booths there. It could possibly go either way though, that's just my experience.

fixtureman

At some halls if there is not a shipping label on it it gets scrapped. In Chicago it is very hard to get stuff off the floor.