Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade Show Discount on Demo Printer

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by lenwardus, Jun 10, 2012.

1. lenwardus

lenwardus Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Do vendors usually offer to sell printers they have as demos
    at trade shows for a discount? That is you take it directly
    after the show ends, so they don't have to crate and transport
    it.

If so, what kind of discount would customary?

Tags:
  2. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Our vp540 was a dealer demo unit, got it for about 20% off, crated and delivered...

3. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    It depends on the show how you get it out. It may cost you more after you pay to have it loaded. I do lots of different shows and they all have their own rules.

4. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I didnt think about that. In Vegas the Teamsters move and load everything off the floor. I know 4 or 5 Teamsters that work at the convention center, their houses are full of "stuff" that never made it back to the company's after a convention closes.

5. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    You can get a significant discount, if it can be shipped to directly from the floor of the Trade Show or you can roll it out of there... Most will usually offer a 1K discount if you roll it out of there at the end of the show... Cash Money makes a big, huge influence in how willing or far an exhibitor is willing to go in regards to shipping... They never want to ship something back to themselves... C$SH Money always gets you a better deal...

6. Stealth Ryder

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Isn't that stealing/theft... I have had things "come up missing" from shows there... The insurance pays $1.00 Per Pound up to $50.00 (very small writing in the contract)... Some of my machines cost upwards of 50K...

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Not always stealing. You'd be amazed at how much stuff just gets left from a major convention. People either forget it, don't want the hassle of lugging it all to a shipping company to get it back home, or planned on it being used and discarded right from the start.

8. Stealth Ryder

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    I see you point Pat, I always wanted/intended to get mine back, that's why I paid upfront for shipping back to my home location... Like I said, the fine writing in the contract allows for folks to take what they want with the folks responsible for my property only liable for pennies on the dollar... I understand it is a risk, just wish more people involved in these ventures were as honest as me... BTW, I never said I left a product simply because I did not want to pay shipping back back home, I assure you I want my 50K printer back if I do not sell it at a show... I am a little guy, that kind of money can make or break me for the year...

After some consideration I think this... Just because something is laying there and a person takes it, this does not make it right... If it was not given to you by the owner or you did not purchase it from the owner it is in fact stealing, this can't be argued...

9. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I'm not saying $50K printers get abandoned...more along the lines of chairs, tables, displays, and smaller merchandise.

10. FishnSigns

FishnSigns Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    Be careful with "demo" printers sold off the trade show floor. Some manufacturers transport the printer from show to show before selling it. As we all know, printers run best when printing on a regular basis. They don't like to print for 2-3 days - sit for 3-4 days like they might in a trade show environment. They also can get beat up in shipping. I would strongly recommend taking them up on their "show special" rather than buying the demo unit. There is always room to negotiate.

11. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Dealers love not having to take equipment back after the show their intentions are to do whatever it takes to sell the floor model so they don't have to bring it back. Shows are great places to get dialed in printers.

12. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Do you think any of those show floor models dressed in skimpy outfits ever get left behind?
    I'd be willing to pay shipping and handling to clear up the lost and found a little.

wayne k
    guam usa

13. Stealth Ryder

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Gotcha Sir, Understood...

14. Stealth Ryder

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    +1

15. Stealth Ryder

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Confused... The thread started in regards to printers specifically

16. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  17. lenwardus

lenwardus Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Do the manufacturers bring their own machines to shows or do they
    contract local dealers to deliver and setup machines that the manufacturer
    sold them?

18. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

Most of the ones that I have talked to at the NNEP show that I attend bring their own. If it goes through dealers then it's the dealers that have booths there. It could possibly go either way though, that's just my experience.

19. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    At some halls if there is not a shipping label on it it gets scrapped. In Chicago it is very hard to get stuff off the floor.