• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Traffic Jet Print System-Avery Dennison

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
Has anyone used this? What do you think of the included Flexi DX Design Software? More over, no where can I find out if this machine and the software are exclusive to itself. That's the big question.

My big HQ up north wants me to find out more about this.

Ive been trying to sell them on getting me Adobe CC, just a couple programs and a Roland but suddenly the CEO said this might be an option.

the videos look great BUT, can I design in other software?

Kwiksigns

wookie
If it is using Flexi as the rip, you should be able to design in any program, save as pdf and load said pdf right into the rip. It probably just has a bunch of templates already set up but if you have any competency in design you should be able to design a traffic sign in any program pretty quickly.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
If it is using Flexi as the rip, you should be able to design in any program, save as pdf and load said pdf right into the rip. It probably just has a bunch of templates already set up but if you have any competency in design you should be able to design a traffic sign in any program pretty quickly.

So it's not being exclusive like most Gerber equipment..

That makes it much more appealing for sure. Not only do I make regularity signs for UDOT and federal DOT projects but i make a ton of custom signs now. I want to be able to make full color logos for customers too.

This machine, if it does what it says, and what you say is true about the software, then haleluja!

I guess my only other question is, How is Flexi DX? Do you like it? Does it have any similarities to Adobe at all?

Kwiksigns

wookie
i am not sure what DX is, I have a pro version of flexisign. Alot of stuff is similar to illy but it does differ. Not very hard to learn if you have been using illy. I would call and ask the functionality of what DX can handle. But from what they show about the printer it looks like it can print whatever you want it to, not just traffic signs.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
i am not sure what DX is, I have a pro version of flexisign. Alot of stuff is similar to illy but it does differ. Not very hard to learn if you have been using illy. I would call and ask the functionality of what DX can handle. But from what they show about the printer it looks like it can print whatever you want it to, not just traffic signs.

So, with further plodding, I found out some very interesting news about Avery Ink vs Roland etc. 3M sheeting has been tested with a lot of digital color printers and if the ink did not pass quality testing after 3 years, they reject their 10 year warranty. Roland passed with a 7-10 year life, Avery does not pass with a 3 year life.

Interesting.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
While trying to get a phone number for a distributor, I was bounced many times (more than I have fingers on my hand). I have yet to reach a rep for this system.

Now, I don't know if I have scared anyone off of being able to talk to me about this stuff but in all honesty, I need some guidance from someone who knows from experience about color digital vinyl/reflective printing. Single color vinyl cutting I can do. Design in various design software I can do (have been doing for years and years).

If there is a professional in the house who would like to share their opinion about a machine or two, I am all ears.

Any and all input welcomed, good or bad.

Thank you!

digital_r&d

Avery TrafficJet System details

While trying to get a phone number for a distributor, I was bounced many times (more than I have fingers on my hand). I have yet to reach a rep for this system.

Now, I don't know if I have scared anyone off of being able to talk to me about this stuff but in all honesty, I need some guidance from someone who knows from experience about color digital vinyl/reflective printing. Single color vinyl cutting I can do. Design in various design software I can do (have been doing for years and years).

If there is a professional in the house who would like to share their opinion about a machine or two, I am all ears.

Thank you!

Dear SignShopGal,

I was just reaching out to understand if you still need more information about the Avery Dennison TrafficJet system. Or if you have been helped.

The Flexi DX is a design + RIP software. The design part is similar to Adobe Illustrator.
You can also design signs in Adobe Illustrator, if that is what you prefer. Other common supported software include Corel Draw, SignCAD and similar software that allow you to save as EPS or PDF.

It also allows you to print both the traffic colors and logos simultaneously on Avery sheeting. The warranty on the traffic colors is 10-12 years, depending on the sheeting used, which matches the industry standard.

Thank you!

Hi SignShopGal,

Total transparency, I work for Avery Dennison in the Reflective Solutions division. I apologize that it was not easy to locate a representative, I am working on improving this functionality on the TrafficJet page. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on the TrafficJet and give you the information you need. We can also do a live online demonstration with a technical expert for you or schedule a phone call with our team.

To directly answer some of your questions:
Adobe CC files work with the Flexi DX rip software. The rip will take any EPS or AI file. We recommend those file types because they are vectors and therefore scaleable without pixelation in the software.

We've specially designed the inks to work with our reflective sheeting, overlay film and the printer to create warranted traffic signs on both our beaded and prismatic films. The printer also works with several of our graphics vinyls. This point is important because without a deep understanding of the chemistry for the sheeting, ink, overlay film and printer, it would be difficult for a manufacturer to warrant the traffic signs. Because we've specifically developed these things to work together and have tested them (internally and with 3rd parties - Calcoast and others), we are confident in the long-term performance of traffic signs when printed according to our recommendations. This is a factor behind the growing list of State DOT approvals across the country for signs produced using this platform.

Here is the information for your local sales rep: http://reflectives.averydennison.co...ations/north-america-sales-contacts.html#Utah

I hope this helps and hope the response on the forum wasn't too invasive. Just want to make sure you have all of the information you need.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
Thank you

Hi SignShopGal,

Total transparency, I work for Avery Dennison in the Reflective Solutions division. I apologize that it was not easy to locate a representative, I am working on improving this functionality on the TrafficJet page. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on the TrafficJet and give you the information you need. We can also do a live online demonstration with a technical expert for you or schedule a phone call with our team.

To directly answer some of your questions:
Adobe CC files work with the Flexi DX rip software. The rip will take any EPS or AI file. We recommend those file types because they are vectors and therefore scaleable without pixelation in the software.

We've specially designed the inks to work with our reflective sheeting, overlay film and the printer to create warranted traffic signs on both our beaded and prismatic films. The printer also works with several of our graphics vinyls. This point is important because without a deep understanding of the chemistry for the sheeting, ink, overlay film and printer, it would be difficult for a manufacturer to warrant the traffic signs. Because we've specifically developed these things to work together and have tested them (internally and with 3rd parties - Calcoast and others), we are confident in the long-term performance of traffic signs when printed according to our recommendations. This is a factor behind the growing list of State DOT approvals across the country for signs produced using this platform.

Here is the information for your local sales rep: http://reflectives.averydennison.co...ations/north-america-sales-contacts.html#Utah

I hope this helps and hope the response on the forum wasn't too invasive. Just want to make sure you have all of the information you need.

Not at all, I am in contact now with a rep for this machine, and it's now my job to convince corporate why this machine is perfect for the business I am sign making in, and will put me a step ahead of our competition. No other business in my area has this machine and hands down it will do the work of me plus four other people ( I am one gal band). Thank you for the reach out!!

Not at all, I am in contact now with a rep for this machine, and it's now my job to convince corporate why this machine is perfect for the business I am sign making in, and will put me a step ahead of our competition. No other business in my area has this machine and hands down it will do the work of me plus four other people ( I am one gal band). Thank you for the reach out!!

You must be screen printing a large amount of traffic signs. I would look into different machines also. This machine is I believe almost $10,000 more then the HP L360 Latex. Just because it had spot color inks specific to traffic signage was not a good enough reason for us to get it. Plus having the L360 has way more capabilities then the Traffic Jet. Way more substrates your able to print on also.

digital_r&d

You must be screen printing a large amount of traffic signs. I would look into different machines also. This machine is I believe almost $10,000 more then the HP L360 Latex. Just because it had spot color inks specific to traffic signage was not a good enough reason for us to get it. Plus having the L360 has way more capabilities then the Traffic Jet. Way more substrates your able to print on also.

The TrafficJet printer can do both Spot and CMYK colors - simultaneously.

Spot colors are used to print warranted traffic signs, and CMYK can be used to print a variety of logos, pictures, photos, etc.

Signs in the traffic market can be segmented into temporary signs, typically used in work zones and printed only with black opaque ink with a 3 year durability expectation, and permanent signs that are required to be warranted for 10 to 12 years. For temporary signs, it would appear that the HP Latex system may be adequate because the signs require only limited (temporary) durability.

TrafficJet can also produce these signs. However, if you must supply permanent signs that are required to comply with Federal, State, or local agency specifications meeting daytime and nighttime color as well as retroreflectivity specifications, we’ve not seen documentation showing the HP Latex system can meet this higher standard. TrafficJet was engineered to meet this higher standard, while also providing users the flexibility to produce non-specification, commercial work as well. Both are great print systems, and your choice must be governed by the type of signage specifications required by your customer.

We’re glad you are satisfied with your current printer, and encourage anyone interested in digital printing for permanent, long-term durable traffic sign applications to review all options available - just be certain that the printer can produce something that is warranted and meets your local specifications.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal

We are a traffic safety and traffic sign supply business. TTC and work zone saftey are our biggest customers.

I do everything by hand and the manual labor is killing me. I have researched quite a few machines, even had to write a report on them to deliver to our upper managment in salt lake. I looked at Roland, HP, Mimaki, and last Mutoh: Mutoh is what the traffic jet is.

Avery Dennison reflective sheeting is up to code and spec with NDOT, ADOT, AND UDOT, which is what We are required to use, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do what we do. UDOT, NDOT and ADOT, all our surrounding gov jobs we do because of our location, all require MUTCD standard but ADOT more specifically legally required above and beyond the federal standard for reflectivity and visibility. Avery's reflective passes in all three states and this machine uses it. We have been using 3M but until they get their but in gear and make a machine with ink that is compatible with their reflective sheeting then it's a no go. I heard they are working on a model though.

So, to answer, yes, I am making road signs, TTC signs, permanent warning signs, signs for blasting companies, street signs, business signs, and now, company logo signs to go with their road signs they purchase from us. The popularity for 48x48 TTC has increased by about 60% this year, and I simply cannot do it alone anymore. I have T-Rex arms, barely 3' from shoulder to finger tip. Lol, Rolling 3 line Highway W-series sign sets are to say the least, very difficult.

SignShopGal

SignShopGal

Sorry I forgot to add:

Our company is Utah Barricade and our sister companies: Mountainwest traffic, Saftey Supply and Sign and Ofc Utah barricade in Salt Lake City. I am Loated in St George.

I do a high volume of custom signage also. I think Im pretty much sold.

techtalk

Inks

Sorry I forgot to add:

Our company is Utah Barricade and our sister companies: Mountainwest traffic, Saftey Supply and Sign and Ofc Utah barricade in Salt Lake City. I am Loated in St George.

I do a high volume of custom signage also. I think Im pretty much sold.

It's all about the inks as spotcolor, I have used here in Europe extra spotcolors on a Roland with 6 or 8 colors (Green, Blue, Red and Sign Yellow), client has tested it with 3M and a Japanese reflective foly, the lightbox tests where ok and we where all in the regulation measurements.

And the inks came from the USA and the RIP too Wasatch.
Just to let you know that solution are there, the Avery system is nice, you can run most design applications with that, but if you use another RIP you should think about the learning curve.